• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my garage rebuild

ct71rr

Chad
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:22 AM
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm one of the new guys here. tallhair asked to see pics of my garage resto and joeychgo suggested that I start a thread on it instead of posting a link from another forum. I have a '71 Road Runner that I'm going to start restoring as soon as I finish my garage resto. I've had the Road Runner since '03 and knew I would need more space to work on it. Seeing that my original garage, well, sucked, I decided to make it bigger. Long story short, I have a relative that's a GC and he pretty much talked me into going all out. Here goes:

This is what I started with:

883.jpg882.jpg885.jpg

Ran into some ledge so, I drilled 65 holes for rebar pins:

932.jpg933.jpg948.jpg

I built forms and poured the foundation:

951.jpg992.jpg995.jpg

Uh-oh, a little miscommunication with the building inspector. Town makes me cut off corner because it's too close to property line. Long story:angryfire:

1049.jpg1050.jpg1051.jpg1052.jpg

Corner gone, walls going up:

IMG_2760.jpgIMG_2762.jpgIMG_2780.jpg

Walls up, roof going on:

IMG_0009.jpgIMG_0040.jpgIMG_0042.jpgPhoto0112.jpg

Shingles and siding finished:

IMG_0048.jpgIMG_0050.jpgIMG_0059.jpgIMG_0062.jpg

Moisture barrier, thermal break and floor in:

001.jpg003.jpg006.jpg008.jpg

Stairs and rail in:
043.jpg044.jpg045.jpg

This is where I am at now. I took me about 2 years to get to this point working on it on my days off. I hired a crew to help with framing the roof and pouring the floor otherwise, it's been all me. Obviously there is a lot more to the build then I've shown. My garage is roughly 36'X31' with an 8'9" ceiling in the garage bay area with a loft above. The loft will be used as storage (for now:icon_madu:).

Thanks for looking,
Chad

883.jpg 882.jpg 885.jpg 932.jpg 933.jpg 948.jpg 951.jpg 992.jpg 995.jpg 1049.jpg 1050.jpg 1051.jpg 1052.jpg IMG_2760.jpg IMG_2762.jpg IMG_2780.jpg IMG_0009.jpg IMG_0040.jpg IMG_0042.jpg Photo0112.jpg IMG_0048.jpg IMG_0050.jpg IMG_0059.jpg IMG_0062.jpg 001.jpg 003.jpg 006.jpg 008.jpg 043.jpg 044.jpg 045.jpg

That's most excellent and I'm looking forward to updates. I only wish I had the acreage to build a shop. Are you gonna have room for a lfit?

WOW!!! Nice job. My garage took three years and it still isn't completely done. (like our cars are they ever?) Keep up the great work and don't get disappointed with the time it takes to do thing right.

Can't wait to see it finished.

I dunno, but I kind of like the look of your old garage.

Your new one is beautiful, but it's too clean:thinker: Needs to get dirtied up to look right!!!

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Kiwigtx, you don't know the half of it. I live in a small, fairly wealthy town. Dealing with the building department, ZBA and conservation department has been ridiculous. My neighbor wrote a letter and called the ZBA on my behalf and told them he did not care if my garage was a little too close to his property line. At first they (ZBA) were talking about me removing the entire foundation but, my neighbor's input swayed them to making me cut just the corner off. I also wanted to rough in pipes under the floor before it was poured for future plumbing. The ZBA wouldn't let me do it unless I put in a new septic system and they were worried that if I sold my house, the new owners might connect the pipes without the town's knowledge. They also couldn't understand why anyone would want a bathroom in a garage, "(They've) never heard of it". I gave up on plumbing in my garage...

Hopefully, the electrician will be out next week and then I can start putting up insulation, drywall, etc.

really nice work there ct71rr, wish i had talents like that!
cant believe they have building inspectors in that neck o' the woods lol!

You are doing a great job. I could tell you some horror stories from my zoning guy. He ate a whole bottle of dick head pills when he took on my project for my business in a rural community. Had to move the bathroom sinks up a 1/4". Both micros had to be moved a 1/2" thermostats had to be moved or protective covers installed over top, asphalt with handicap parking, omg it to be 12 months with him and his annoying personality. I really do like your project, it will be fun when completed.

That is one nice, freaking, awesome garage. If you ever did decide to sell your place in the future, I think that garage is going to be the thing that seals the deal.

Welcome to the site. Nice job, hope to see more pics when you are finished!
And don't forget to post some pics of the Roadrunner too!

Thanks everyone. I don't have the ceiling height for a full size lift but, I'm hoping to get a MaxJax lift in the future. A couple of years ago, there was a group buy on garagejournal that I missed out on. If i remember correctly, they went for $1500.00 + shipping.

I'll post some pics of the Road Runner this week:headbang:

Very Nice Garage!!! You will love having the room above. My shop has an upstairs and it really helps to keep the clutter down.

The electrician was here last Friday. He has to come back to finish...

003.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg 001.jpg 002.jpg 004.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back