• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My hood latch won't lock in?

How many people like 1966-67 Dodge Chargers?

• yes

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • no

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Terry Kitzman

Local time
8:06 AM
Reaction score
I'm doing final details on my 66 Charger build, And no matter how high or low I put it, It doesn't latch. It worked fine before the build. Any Ideas?

IMG_20210525_121002.jpg IMG_20210525_121111.jpg

Last edited:
Operator error I'm guessing? Good Luck

Does it latch and release by hand? Does it work smooth or is it full of grit? Is the release cable adjust wrong so it won’t stay latched?

Clean and lube it with something better than Wd-40

Last edited:
Does it latch and release by hand? Does it work smooth or is it full of grit? Is the release cable adjust wrong so it won’t stay latched?

I'll try, When I pull the cable I have to push the catch lightly to get it to flip down, Maybe that's enough. Thanks.

Then try it without the hood release cable.
It's possible to open and close without the cable.

Just went through that with the rear latch it has to be perfect . Can you open and close it by hand? That will tell you if the mechanism is working after that its all Alignement mine way off a tad to the drivers side and tough to unlock now a light press will do.

Yes wd is not a lube.

I'll try, When I pull the cable I have to push the catch lightly to get it to flip down, Maybe that's enough. Thanks.
You have it just has to be perfect you will see I spent hours doing a bumper filler delete and gutter rails and taking 1/2 in out of the latch hoop when it finally was correct it works awsome. Keep the faith remember they didnt make these perfect back in the day just worked.

Maybe the cable did not retract. Check that? These hoods dont shut like luxury cars. Just watch your fingers.

I'm doing final details on my 66 Charger build, And no matter how high or low I put it, It doesn't latch. It worked fine before the build. Any Ideas?

View attachment 1114713 View attachment 1114715
Without knowing what was edited out of the original post, I would say that this is a cable release issue. Much like adjusting a throttle on a carb - start from the basics without the cable....then progress up through the mechanism until you find the problem.

Sounds like the cable is holding tension on the release while in the 'slack' mode.

Without knowing what was edited out of the original post, I would say that this is a cable release issue. Much like adjusting a throttle on a carb - start from the basics without the cable....then progress up through the mechanism until you find the problem.

Sounds like the cable is holding tension on the release while in the 'slack' mode.
Could be just has to be correct to work flawless.

Just trying to help amazing how many do the same.

Just trying to help amazing how many do the same.
Shooting ideas out there can do wonders when someone is in a pinch.
I had something similar happen with my 66. This is a good site. Lots of folks that like to help with the ideas they have. Makes the tasks easier.

Auto Transport Service
Back