• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My rendition of the max wedge exhaust

moobster

Local time
9:57 AM
Reaction score
Here is what I came up with for the exhaust on the '62.
Reminicent of the max wedge exhaust without the reversion caused by joining the muffler pipes so far down the 3" primaries.
3" stainless primaries and 2-1/2" stainless for the rest of the system.
Mandrel bent elbows, cut , fit, and tig welded together. I still need to dress the welds and polish the exhaust yet, but I think it will look ok when i'm finished.
I used some band clamps and drilled access holes in them to hold the pieces together for hot tacking, then finished welding on the bench.
20190126_111153.jpg
20190126_110808.jpg
20190126_110839.jpg
20190126_111123.jpg

Wow that is bad ***. Are you planning on electric cutouts, or just caps? That is quality work. Compression bends and clamps make me nauseous.

Wow that is bad ***. Are you planning on electric cutouts, or just caps? That is quality work. Compression bends and clamps make me nauseous.
I think I'll use the caps. If I gotta crawl under the car to remove them, then there is less chance I'll do something stupid...in front of a cop...lol

Never saw pipes that straight underneath, looks great.

Side note: I put a pair of Thrush straight through mufflers (the hollow model with no fiberglass packing) on parent's new '71 Road Runner--at Fremont Raceway a bystander said he could here my car running next to one with open headers. Never got a noise ticket, but the guy we sold the car to did and put the factory mufflers back on.

Looks great Moobster!

It's really nice to see someone else working on a '62 on here. Sometimes I've felt like the red headed stepchild. But it is cool to compare all of the similarities with the newer years also.

Looks like you are useing the manifolds. I went with headers and just bought catalog pieces to fab up my exhaust. I really like what you did with the stainless:thumbsup: Looking foward to more post!
20170405_125403.jpg

Here is what I came up with for the exhaust on the '62.
Reminicent of the max wedge exhaust without the reversion caused by joining the muffler pipes so far down the 3" primaries.
3" stainless primaries and 2-1/2" stainless for the rest of the system.
Mandrel bent elbows, cut , fit, and tig welded together. I still need to dress the welds and polish the exhaust yet, but I think it will look ok when i'm finished.
I used some band clamps and drilled access holes in them to hold the pieces together for hot tacking, then finished welding on the bench.
View attachment 710541 View attachment 710542 View attachment 710543 View attachment 710544

A bit of advice if you are going to street drive your car. Drill a 1/8" hole on the bottom of the pipe just behind the outlet flange,condensation will collect there and eventually you will have a rust through on the bottom of the pipe,went through it with this.
Picture 173.jpg

Never saw pipes that straight underneath, looks great.
That's what happens when a Millwright decides to build an exhaust system.
Straight, parallel, and symmetrical, so far, it's only taken me 2 weeks to get it roughed in...lol

Last edited:
That's what happens when a Millwright decides to build an exhaust system.
Straight, parallel, and symmetrical, so far, it's only taken me 2 weeks to get it roughed in...lol

I remember doing mine and being a fanatic doesn't help. You have to leave your tape measure in the tool box. The whole setup is off center and the engine sits crooked. Just wing it!

Looks awesome. Nice job. Mine was much simpler on my Challenger. Straight header mufflers with marmin flanges.

20160713_164732.jpg

-20C here today but at least the shop is a comfortable 72F. Here it is, the finished product. I decided on a ScotchBrite finish. Parking brake cable will be here tomorrow. Once I finish off the fuel line, I'm done underneath and I can put the wheels back on the car and get off that damn creeper for a while...
20190130_180901.jpg
20190130_180928.jpg
20190130_180945.jpg
20190130_181012.jpg
20190130_181043.jpg
lol

I'd like a little more info on the rubber isolated hangers you used on the straight pipes. Did you still use the factory ones in front of the gas tank?

I'd like a little more info on the rubber isolated hangers you used on the straight pipes. Did you still use the factory ones in front of the gas tank?
Universal SS hangers from APC, an auto parts center here in town. I didn't bother with the factory muffler hangers, I wanted to keep it clean so didn't want to use the old style muffler clamps and that big ugly hanger. The tail pipes are also held with the clamps from APC. Neat, tidy and compact.

-20C here today but at least the shop is a comfortable 72F. Here it is, the finished product. I decided on a ScotchBrite finish. Parking brake cable will be here tomorrow. Once I finish off the fuel line, I'm done underneath and I can put the wheels back on the car and get off that damn creeper for a while...View attachment 713071 View attachment 713072 View attachment 713073 View attachment 713074 View attachment 713075 lol
as much as anything -the underside of the car looks spotless- awesome. my '64 Dodge 330 has more patch panels and rust that the titanic.

Auto Transport Service
Back