• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My restoration dilemma

BB14404SPD

Local time
7:22 PM
Reaction score
I have a 68 Charger R/T. Numbers match, fender tag and build sheet. A true 3x black 440 4 Speed. I live about 20 min from Mosher's and went in for a chit chat. I asked if they knew anyone good and honest to restore my Charger. Funny right away he said no. Not that he did not want to answer more that honest and do a good job.
Well now who to send it to? GYC never, Restorations by Julius no, as I spoke to him at Spring fling and at his shop and he was very arrogant. Not believing what I had and he would answer you want this you want that. Well yes it is my car. Just want it restored to like it was new. I was thinking of Hodges but after looking at pictures I cannot believe they take proper care. I want it to look as I went to the dealer and bought it not over restored. Many places I have talked to say no as they do not want the body lines and runs be a negative reflection of the body shop. So I am in SoCal and do not know where to send it. I even though sending it to Canada to Nick.
Anyone know a good shop that is honest and would trust to do the job?

DSC_0242.jpg IMG_4542.JPG

A shop to do everything?
No.
Looking around on the internet sites, a LOT of guys just like you just jump in and do it themselves. It may be perfect, it may not.
I'm not excellent at anything but I am pretty good at a few things. I just jump in and try to learn as I go. I get advice from others, read magazines and books, watch YouTube and practice.

Ahh the magic of the paint job, there are horrible storys about cars trapped in the paint jail, my car is a prisoner I spend a lot of money, with no results, some members tell you where but is not cheap at all, check the treads on chargers already restored, to get an idea, good luck with your proyect..

If you were thinking of sending it all the way to Hodge’s in South Carolina you might want to look into Creations by Gemza over towards Charlotte North Carolina. https://www.creationsbygemza.com/ http://www.creationsbygemza.com/gallery
They build some incredible Mopar.
I 2nd Creations by Gemza!! I toured their shop a few years ago and they are top notch. Everyone was very friendly and inviting, which is rare in that industry.
PS I hope your bank account is prepared because a 100% like new restoration might run $200,00-$300,000 from a reputable shop. Keep in mind, you get what you pay for.

If you are willing to ship your car to Canada, why not Mexico, this shop is just across the border in Juarez and the job they do is very good.

Also they speak English.

If you are willing to ship your car to Canada, why not Mexico, this shop is just across the border in Juarez and the job they do is very good.

Also they speak English.

Man, Jerry Heasley is a national treasure here for our hobby. That dude has seen and done it all and
still does!

You better have deep pockets if you plan to have a shop do a full resto. I think you'd be in around 150k by the time you're done. Keep in mind the hourly rate for a slant 6 valiant is the same as a 1 of 1 hemi car !!

i was thinking around 250, i had 92 into mine and did most of the work, that was every nut and bolt and mine was over restored, scared to drive it.

Sell it for ridiculous money. Buy a nice driver quality car. Pocket the rest of the money. Drive & enjoy your driver car without worries.

There is a guy in Yakima WA who does some very nice restorations, PM and I will send you his phone number.

Auto Transport Service
Back