• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My six pack problem and solution

Kevin Warren

Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
I had a car the would not idle and was running rich. I rebuilt the center carb and it did not fix the problem. After much research i found the videos from Harold Demes to be most informative.
I had a warped main body and metering block. The metering block also had a blockage in the emulsion tube that i was not able to clear.
So i started looking for a new metering block. It turned out to be tough to find one. Harold pointed me to six pack performance. They did not have any as all there Holley orders are on back order till the end of the year. Holley just told me to buy a new carb - thanks for nothing.
Worst part is nobody would tell me what p/n to look for as a repalcement.
Not wanting a billet solution as they don't have a vacume advance port and don't look right, I took a chance with a new metering block for the 2300 carb.
Part number 134-203
It has the new stronger body design but the only difference was the vacume advance tube was strait not bent down.
I have made the gasket surfaces flat and put everything back together. It has run great for two weeks now. I call it OK
If you are in a bind this may work for you also. Good luck

Thanks for the flashback..... I dealt with the warped main body issue on my first Sixpack back around 82 maybe 83... The bowl screws pulled the carb body about .070 out of flat.... I was a broke *** kid barely able to feed the 440, couldn't afford a new carb or a new body or even a machinist... I flat filed for hours.. Then I had to drill the holes for the locator pins deeper... But it fixed the idle problems...

.........Holley just told me to buy a new carb - thanks for nothing...........

Curious on who you were talking to at Holley, a sales guy or Tech support?

Lot of change due to "worldly affairs" hitting home over the last year and a half but maybe this helps someone.
Holley sales rep response to my outboard fuel bowl inquiry back in Nov, 2019..............
"Hey Dave,

We do not have a sale number for that fuel bowl, however you can call the Tech Line and ask for Jason Garrie. We can get you a fuel bowl the price will be $81.96 + $10.50 for shipping. The engineering number for the bowl is 34R6240A. This is a part that you will have to call the Tech Line to order as stated above because we do not have a sale number on it.

Thanks
Brett
"

I called Tech back then and became caller #18 on the indefinite hold line. A loaded repop bowl came up on the Gold-bay so I went for it.

A plate stamped 6020.............1970 I believe?
upload_2021-8-15_8-13-25.png

plate stamped 6105......1971?
upload_2021-8-15_9-14-33.png

Post 4 here may help with the block warpage.......
warped holley metering blocks - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Glad to hear you got her fixed. Course any blockage in the emulsion tube can mess up the air/fuel ratio since it can block the air from mixing right and can run rich. Thats good info for anyone looking for the metering block that will work and pretty much look stock. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back