• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Solution For Accessing Those Pesky Rear Carb Sc

69sixpackbee

Local time
12:38 PM
Reaction score
I was just goofing around yesterday in the shop and I decided to make an easier and cheaper solution to the hard-to-reach rear carb idle screws on the Six Pack setups. Those of you who know what I am talking about can appreciate this!
I am too cheap to buy the high-dollar "Competitors"
re-designed baseplate with the relocated screw location so I set out for an alternative. I took a pair of 8-32x1"lg. 316 stainless set screws and machined my own replacement mixture screws. It is much easier to get at them being that it is a 3/32" hex. I made a quick and dirty ball-end driver so that I can make adjustments with ease! I backcut the ball-end relief some more so I can get at them at about a sixty-degree angle. I have a long version that I put the hex wrench into a 1/4" diameter MDS-filled nylon "handle" which is nothing more than drilling a pilot hole and then heating up the wrench and melting it into the stock. I put an index mark on it so I could monitor the movement accurately. The second iteration is the same concept but with a stiff spring as a compliant joint to gain access with an even more acute angle.
IMG_0583.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

DSC00133.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

DSC00135.jpg

Works like a charm!
I just thought I would share it with you guys!

Regards,
Bud

six pack rear carbs

wow you might put Ben at promax out of business :glasses8:

Looks and sounds like a great idea. My six pack is a bear to set the idle mixture screws just like everyone elses. Do not want to change the bases.
Do you foresee any issues by using stainless? Had problems with siezing stainless bolts in the past without using anti-sieze compound.

If you decide to make up a batch I would love to buy a pair from you.

Guys, I am making upmore of these. I am tooling the handle in my CNC and I will have the prototype soon so I can send the image so all can see. The handles are going to be yellow Acetal and will be inset engraved in one area which will help indexing (think "Craftsman" lettering in the handle) and will look sweet. "Idle Mixture Adj.Tool \\ Six-pack Solutions"

I will probably sell these kits with two screws for the rears for $45.00 and all for screws for $60.00.

That seems pretty reasonable. Just gauging interest to see.

Let me know what y'all think. I am working with the patent lawyer here at work (the one we use here) and looking in to the feasability of patent application. At least I will get it applied for for now.
Thanx!
Bud

Well,
I have them finished. I used blue 1/4" OD Turcite for the handles. The overall length of the tool is 9 3/8" and is small enough to reach through the linkages and long enough to grab easily. I have decided to use the non-compliant, straight shank because it is a bit less "fidgety" to manipulate. With the undercut that I put on the ball end I achieve 25-degrees of compliance which is quite sufficient given the acute angle necessary to gain access to the screw heads. And being that my machined screws are longer it it easier to "target". The screws are alloy steel and are tough. Not that this should matter but I did it for machinability and longevity. The handles are CNC engraved in one area as to make indexing a breeze. The down side is that even though I can bang these out fairly quickly, I do not have a chucker lathe to my avail so it is a bit time-consuming to make the screws on a single post Hardinge but I have a system in place none-the-less.

I've been doing this a long time so you can rest assured that these are made right and will last.

I have four sets ready for immediate shipping (1 tool & 2 screws) and 6 more in the works by the end of next week.for those of my Mopar bretheren who wish to have these in their "stash".

I am offering these for $45.00 for the tool + the two screws and $60.00 with all four screws...and I'll pick up the shipping within the lower 48!
They will come in a mailer via USPS and will be carefully wrapped in a clear plastic tube which will serve as a sheath to protect it in your toolbox from the other tools that don't want to play nice in there!

I will stand behind them....you don't like 'em, I'll buy 'em back.

I will be listing these elsewhere for a slightly increased price but I want to give you guys the first crack at them since I posted them here first.

Fortunately, (or unfortunately) these will work for the Holley "Tri-power" setups for our fellow hot-rodders with the ties and ovals too so I will hit them up.

PM me if you want a set and I'll get them out.

Thanx,
Bud
biggrin.gif

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg
IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1024.jpg
    IMG_1024.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 902
  • IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 941
  • IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 939
  • IMG_1015.jpg
    IMG_1015.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 931
  • IMG_1020.jpg
    IMG_1020.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 912
Last edited:
A BIG thank you goes out to all of you whom have shown interest in my carb screw tool!

Thanx again for your business,
Bud Weaver

Add me to the list. I just heard about your setup. GREAT idea. I'll send a PM.

The kit just arrived today. Looks good. I'll have to get the screws installed soon. Gonna monsoon tomorrow and rain the rest of the week and maybe snow Thu. so it'll be a good time to work on it.

I'll make them on your Hardinge...That way I can use one again and cure my withdrawls! That is a very nice machine to run.

Auto Transport Service
Back