• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Turbocharged '62 Savoy 4-door

dizuster

Local time
5:53 PM
Reaction score
My Dad frequent's here often, so I thought I'd post my combo to share with you guys.

The car started as a 12,000 original mile "Barn find" that was destined to be cut up as a parts car for a convertible restoration. Fortunately for me, they didn't end up using the car so it sat at a friends for quite a while under a tarp. I ended up traded three pushbutton transmission rebuilds (he bought the parts, I did the labor!).

It's gone through a few drivetrain itterations since I started (mostly because it kept breaking stock parts as I continued to turn the power up!!!)

Currently it's a cast crank, stock block 360. Ported Eddy heads with a small [email protected]" hydraulic roller, and a non intercooled 75mm turbo pushing 15~16psi on E85. It just uses dodge magnum truck manifolds flipped backwards (no fancy headers here!).

Car still has the pushbutton in it, Dana 60, and a 3.55 gear on 275/60 radials. At 3740lbs it's been a best of [email protected].

Anyway... thought you guys would enjoy it... take a look at the pics/videos. I'm trying to get the turbo knowledge passed on to the mopar community, so ask away!

Scott

IMG_20140723_183824_443 (1280x720).jpgIMG_20140817_144905_925 (1024x576).jpgMCP_7008 (1280x848) (1280x848).jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd_N-B2IXr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQRca4_Mby0

IMG_20140723_183824_443 (1280x720).jpg IMG_20140817_144905_925 (1024x576).jpg MCP_7008 (1280x848) (1280x848).jpg

Iv seen this car at Norwalk, can you say sleeper. :eusa_whistle:

Awesome car, Scott. I've been admiring that car here when your dad posts about it and I think turbo forums, if I recall. Cool cool car, dude.

Love it . . . that is some pretty plumbing under that hood . . . Thanks Dizuster . . . would love to do that to my car . . .

Awesome car.So spill it...all every detail.engine,trans,convertor,suspension,exhaust system.Part #'s.!!!!Detailed pic's.

Welcome!

Thanks for posting the pics and vids! Your dad gave us a preview and I was amazed on how well your combo works. Good job!

I also took notice to your other thread on turbo kits that you are offering. Man that would be a hoot! Maybe some day...

How are you running those times without a cage? Or are you just not dialing in too fast for bracket racing?

Thanks guys... combo is the following

Stock '91 roller block with 1/2 fill
stock cast crank (not even turned)
Eagle H-beam Rods
Diamond Pistons
CNC ported Eddy's
9.2:1
[email protected]" .540" lift
Victor 340 intake
750HP carb converted for E85 blow through
9.5" PTC converter
727 pushbutton with Trans Brake
Dana 60 3.55 gear
Cal-tracks with mono-leafs and good shocks
275/60 drag radials (non-pro's)

The car runs 9.80's in the EXACT same form I drive it on the street. I drive it to work, kids to daycare, etc... it's so tame it's unbelievable.

Turbo is a cheap $650 borg warner S475, fed by 94 dodge ram magnum manifolds, with 4" exhaust all the way to the bumper.

I had a few people grumble that it's only got a roll bar (not a cage), but it's only been 9.88 so not too far under the rule. When I ran at Norwalk for the 10.0 deal I just slowed it down a touch, and dialed near 10.0 in Pro the same night. I went to the last 5 cars in pro, and the last 3 in the 10.0 shootout before the front pump seal nuked itself from too many hot laps double entered and spewed trans fluid all over the starting line!

It's got a LOT more left in it... I'm just scared to lean on the stock block/cast crank any further... lol It's got to make 750~800hp I would think which is well beyond what most will say a small block will take. But these turbos are SOOOOO easy on parts. You don't need a lot of RPM or timing to make them fast. Keep it out of detonation and they will take a lot of abuse.

Yes as mentioned, I am in the process of starting up mopar turbo kits. They will be similar to what I have in this car, but improved packaging and simplicity. Many options from 600~900hp kits. They will be cheaper then other options out there for boost right now (procharger, paxton, etc...) So I'm hoping they will take off. If you guys spent 5 minutes in the ford or chevy forums, you'd have your eyes opened REAL quick to what people are doing with simple turbo kits.

Sounds as though this engine combo would be a HOOT for the street! I might have to look this direction. Would you say about 8k would cover and engine build like this or probably a little more? I wonder how this turbo setup would work with a 440? Nice car and engine setup, I like how you thought outside of the box. Kind of like my Frankestein 64!

Man bad *** car I would love to have one like it must be fun to pick up your kids with it I use my 65/500 to rumble over to drop off my kids some times thank you for the great post / info and photos !

Im in the midst of a 6.1 build that will be turbocharged. Using the stock forged crank, Carrillo rods and .005 over wiseco 9:1 pistons. I was going to be happy with 600 @ the wheels, but looking at your numbers I think that would be a waste of high quality parts!

- - - Updated - - -

Does it run strictly e85?

Boosted 6.1 with a 80mm+ turbo should make 1000hp fairly easy!

Yes strictly pump e85 @ $2.99 a gallon. No intercooler, no water/meth injection.

Boosted 6.1 with a 80mm+ turbo should make 1000hp fairly easy!

Yes strictly pump e85 @ $2.99 a gallon. No intercooler, no water/meth injection.

Yeah, e85 is scarce around here. 2.99 a gallon!?! Wtf. Regular gasoline is that much around here. I thought e85 was half the price of regular

Take that sum bitch out to the Midwest and run them guys with the top ten fastest street car show.
Need a Mopar on the list, dag nabbit!

Sounds as though this engine combo would be a HOOT for the street! I might have to look this direction. Would you say about 8k would cover and engine build like this or probably a little more? I wonder how this turbo setup would work with a 440? Nice car and engine setup, I like how you thought outside of the box. Kind of like my Frankestein 64!
Your car would go way in the nines with the current 62 motor. Don't know what your car weighs but it looks lighter than mine at 3340. My bet is it would run 9.40's easy at 3300lbs and only 15psi. And be completely streetable.
Doug

That turbo looks huge !! I was curious as to what HP do you think that eng makes if it was not turbocharged ? I am just curious as to how much power it is adding to the eng ? And why did you use the smallblock and not a bigblock ? Any specific reason or is it just what you had and decided to use it ? Myself I am not into turbocharging my car as I like my 63 NA kinda like we did it in the 60's and 70's as it just seemed nobody used them back then and I figure maybe its because the technology is so much better today. But my son has been talking about turbocharging his Dart and mounting the turbo in the back of the car ? Thanks , Ron

That turbo looks huge !! I was curious as to what HP do you think that eng makes if it was not turbocharged ? I am just curious as to how much power it is adding to the eng ? And why did you use the smallblock and not a bigblock ? Any specific reason or is it just what you had and decided to use it ? Myself I am not into turbocharging my car as I like my 63 NA kinda like we did it in the 60's and 70's as it just seemed nobody used them back then and I figure maybe its because the technology is so much better today. But my son has been talking about turbocharging his Dart and mounting the turbo in the back of the car ? Thanks , Ron
Your car is perfect the way it is.
His 62 runs 9.80's and literally goes to the grocery store. A big block? That would be insane

This particular turbo is what they call a "mid frame" which is a T6 flange. You are right... it is huge... TOTALLY un neccisary for the power levels I make. That being said... it's actually fairly SMALL compressor wheel inside a huge casting. This turbo can be re-machined to support 1200+hp with the larger compressor wheel. The only reason I bought it is because it was cheap $650~$700. My new kits will have a much smaller T4 turbo. Still supporting 600~1000hp depending on version.

I would say this motor probably makes 400hp on motor alone. It's got nice heads on it, but it's only 9.2:1 compression, and with the small 1 7/8" outlet manifolds, I'm sure that wouldn't help it in N/A form. I run it around 15~16psi, so usually 15psi will double the HP of a motor. I am pretty conservative with the timing/fuel tuneup, so there is probably room to make it better, but it already FLY'S...

I didn't use a big block for a lot of reasons.
First... there aren't really a lot of great manifolds to work with that can be flipped backwards, the small block one's worked very nicely for that.

Second... someone gave the the motor. It was out of a county work truck bought at an auction, so free is good.

Third...Small reasonably priced turbo's can make insane power on small motors. If you have a big motor, you will need a big turbo to feed it or it will choke on the small exhaust side of the small turbo. Big turbo's can be MUCH more expensive (i.e. 2x~3x more)

Auto Transport Service
Back