• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My two son's car choices

whayden2003

Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
Oldest is chevy to the bone. My fault I guess since I'm a newly reformed mopar guy. Lol. Youngest son just showed me a car he thinks is cool. Although technically a Chrysler. They are killing me. Lol. Fiat Abarth 500. I have to admit. I kind of like it.

image.jpg

Oldest is chevy to the bone. My fault I guess since I'm a newly reformed mopar guy. Lol. Youngest son just showed me a car he thinks is cool. Although technically a Chrysler. They are killing me. Lol. Fiat Abarth 500. I have to admit. I kind of like it.

View attachment 655639
I just read an article today that put the Fiat 500 on the 10 cars to avoid mostly on quality. I looked at Fiat 500's when they first came our and could not figure out their target market. They were expensive, had no room and did not get great gas mileage. You could but a Toyota Corolla at that time that had reliability, room for four, a decent trunk and almost 40 MPG. I see these as mostly women's cars as they think they are cute and make them look European. I have a harder time figuring the target market for the Arbath. Trying to steal Mini Cooperwerks customers.

Be a good father and "just say no."

That looks like a giant red flea.

If I was going to get a tiny car it would be a Mini Cooper.

Nothing wrong with the FIAT 500 at all, especially the Sport and Abarth models. My son owns a '15 Sport that just turned 30K miles on it. Triple black, with leather and glass sunroof. Nothing "Chrysler" about them! In fact, when it comes to dealer support, the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealers are not permitted to do warranty work on them, nor can a FIAT/Alfa dealer do the same on CDJR vehicles. They keep their distance, as they should, because they really aren't "one company".

Tell ya what, I drove my son's car from OKC to Dallas and back on two occasions recently, with each being a 500-mile round trip. At 80 mph, the car gets 42 mpg. Yeah, you're the smallest car on the freeway, but it really doesn't feel like it. They are very competent drivers, handle very well, and are actually comfortable to drive that kind of distance. It's my son's first new car. It's only had one real issue to speak of, and that was a faulty RF strut at 27K miles...new struts and tires, and it was like new again.

Would buy one for myself? Sure, but I've also driven a 2018 VW Jetta TLI sedan (gas engine). That beast got 47 mpg @ speeds from 70-85 mph, with a 2.0L Four with automatic. The worst mileage I got on the 2,230-mile trip I drove it on was 39, and that was in the Rockies. Were I to buy a new car right now, I'd be all over either a Jetta or Passat. I'm far more impressed with those than a Charger or 300 these days. Both VWs have a trunk you can actually PUT four bodies in, if you were so inclined. Nice, comfortable, and under $29K for either, nicely loaded.

Last edited:
I'd spring for the Spyder/ Miata if I was stuck choosing a Fiat

Problem is kids get into wrecks. That's just normal, nothing against you. Get a full sized anything. Onee of my best friend's daughter was in a wreck 8 years ago. She is still recovering. My friend thanks God she was in a Jeep Grand Cherokee. i wouldn't drive a car that small over 30 mph.

I just read an article today that put the Fiat 500 on the 10 cars to avoid mostly on quality. I looked at Fiat 500's when they first came our and could not figure out their target market. They were expensive, had no room and did not get great gas mileage.

First off, you are talking about the four-door FIAT 500L, which for the first two years, had a bunch of problems across the board. Not so with the 500 coupe. Secondly, I'm certain most of you haven't got within ten feet, much less actually driven, a 500 coupe.

Last edited:
I prefer not to wear my car. I will never spend a penny on a little car. I will work a little harder to buy a full size car. Thanks but no thanks...

To each their own. One of the wonderful things about being an American is having the freedom to drive whatever the hell you want!!!

Nothing "Chrysler" about them! In fact, when it comes to dealer support, the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealers are not permitted to do warranty work on them, nor can a FIAT/Alfa dealer do the same on CDJR vehicles. They keep their distance, as they should, because they really aren't "one company".
Just to be fair, even though they may not be "one company", the Abarth is built in the same factory (in Mexico) that builds the Dodge Journey, and used to build the Neon and PT Cruiser.

Auto Transport Service
Back