• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Z bar won't fit with new Ladewood bell housing

Local time
9:54 PM
Reaction score
I upgraded to a Lakewood SFI bell housing for my big block stroker. Unfortunately, my stock Z bar doesn't want to mount in the stock location.

Anyone experienced with this? Do I need a different Z bar?

Thanks.

Call Lakewood and ask if they know about this problem, and how to address it.

alternative thought--when i switched from auto to 5 spd tko in my hemi with shield i went with the hydraulic clutch and no problems so far.

I have a message into the makers of Lakewood.

I'd really like to use my center force clutch, Z bar and everything else, since I redid all of it about three years ago.

This is not surprising. I have an old Lakewood from the late 70's or early 80's and it required the ball to be mounted in an alternate location. You may just make an adapter plate from 1/2" steel and bolt it to the existing ball stud holes or weld it on.

On my mid 80's 2-piece Lakewood bellhousing I had to cut down the threads on the bellhousing-side Z-bar ball pivot. Otherwise the threads bottom out 2against the bellhousing making the stud stick out 1/2" or so too far and then the Z-bar seems like it's too long (tube length).

Auto Transport Service
Back