• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Myles Karn in BC Canada DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MAN

696pack

Local time
12:19 PM
Reaction score
I have held off posting this for over a month now allowing Myles Karn an opportunity to make this right.

BEWARE!!! Anyone thinking of doing business with Myles Karn that is District Manager of Saskatchewan in Canada for some type of air service should first read this to find out what kind of a guy he is. A lot to read but it will give you an idea of his character and lack of honesty.

I purchased a 1966 Dodge Charger from Myles Karn and he lied to me about many things.

I found the car in an ended Ebay auction that the car was sold on but the buyer never completed the purchase.

I have a 5 page pre-purchase checklist that I went over in detail with the Myles Karn and emphasized things like dash lights, headlight motors, tach, etc. which are common problem areas for a 1st gen. Charger and expensive to repair. Seller said all of these things worked, well they didn’t but more on this later.

This car was in Canada in a remote area near the Washington state border. I looked at every possibility for transport and one-way trip to get there and the most economical was to take the dreaded two day bus trip that turned into 3 days with delays and an additional $220. cab ride. I arrived at a small Washington town just south of the border to a storage unit that Myles Karn had transported the car to so I did not have to deal with the border crossing situation. I finally arrived at 9 PM on Sat. evening. The car was sitting with the hood opened and the battery cable disconnected. I wanted to check the fluids before starting it but it was too dark in the storage unit to do so I decided to drive it to a lighted gas station. The car fires right up and sound and runs great however when I turn the lights on the dash lights don’t work. I got to the gas station only to find there was no inside hood release to be found. The handle and cable all missing. I get on my back on the ground and look up under the car and can see the hood latch release and figure I can reach it with the jack handle. I go to the trunk and find that the complete jack that Myles Karn told me it has is has no handle. Now I am worried about what else this guy has lied about. I check the spare and although a new tire it is flat.
I could not drive at night without dash lights so I had to stay in the only available flea-bag room in this small town hotel. Left at day break Sun. without being able to check fluids and drove through a lot of small towns with no real parts store opened to find anything that could work for opening the hood. Finally stopped for gas next to a motor home and asked the driver if he had anything that might work and he came up with a stiff camping type hotdog fork. It worked so I offered him $10. which he of course agreed to, reached in my pocket and the smallest I had was a twenty so now I am the proud owner of the highest priced hotdog fork on the planet. All was well under the hood except the oil level and power steering fluid which was leaking at a hose fitting. That evening I go to rotate the headlights up and the passenger side won’t come up. I get to looking around and find a scotch tape dispenser lodged between the headlight bucket and a bracket with the motor still trying to turn and now it doesn’t work so I guess it burned it up. A mishap that could happen to anyone and I do not hold Myles Karn responsible for this.
I asked the condition of the engine and if it burned any oil or smoked and he said no. It burned 6 quarts of oil on the 1650 mile trip--275 miles per quart.

What kind of a guy sells you a car KNOWING that you are going make a trip like that with no dash lights, no jack handle, a flat spare and no way to get under the hood to check the oil burning engine? The Myles Karn type of guy I guess, so BEWARE you have been warned about Myles Karn.

Below is a copy of the email I sent him after arriving home in Arizona with the car. There have been many emails since and Myles Karn has now stopped responding to them leaving me in the dust to deal with this on my own.

Miles,

Several things regarding the car.

1. I went to the Arizona DMV office to title and license the car with the
title you gave me and the Canadian title is incorrect with the V.I.N. as
they left out the 3rd and 4th character which should be 29 as per the V.I.N.
plate. They will not transfer the title and said that the title has to be
corrected in Canada with a new title issued before they will issue me an
Arizona title. You will have to deal with that on your end.

2. I asked you very detailed specific questions about the car before I
bought it.

A. I Asked if everything worked to which you replied all but the radio.
I was delayed in picking up the car until Saturday evening at 9:00. When I
opened the storage unit I found the car with the hood opened and the battery
cable disconnected. I wanted to check all of the fluids before starting the
car and driving it but it was dark so I decided to drive to a gas station
with light to do so. When I got to the gas station I found there was no hood
release cable to open the hood again.

B. I thought I could use the lug wrench to reach the hood latch from
under the car only to find that there was none. You told me the car had the
original jack. A jack includes a jack handle to remove the lug nuts and jack
the car up.

C. I specifically asked after asking if everything worked about the
dash lights and tach as these are expensive thing to consider on a 1966
Charger purchase and you said they worked, they don't.

D. I asked the condition of the engine and if it burned any oil or
smoked and you said no. It burned 6 quarts of oil on the 1650 mile trip--275
miles per quart.

E. When I asked about the lights, brakes etc. you said the cars in
Canada have to pass a safety inspection and that it had a current one and
all these items worked. The brake lights don't.

F. I asked about the power windows and you said they all worked and that
you had recently repaired one of the rear ones. The passenger side rear
window does not go down with the rear switch. It does with the master
drivers control and goes up with the rear switch but not down.

I searched all over the US and Canada for a good quality driver 1966 Charger
and reviewed them all before committing to buy your car prior to sending you
the money. In fact, before I sent you the money another owner contacted me
with an offer to sell his like condition car that I actually preferred his
color over yours but I told him I had already given my word to purchase your
and being a man of my word would not back out of the deal. I did everything
I said I would do based on your word about the car. Of course I am less than
pleased about this.

In addition to correcting the title I ask that you at least pay for the
repair of the dash lights and tach, the other items I will eat.

This requires your immediate attention and response.

Sincerely,

Darryl Dayton

Last edited:
dishonesty is one of those traits that come all too easily in the selling of cars. is this guy a member here on this forum?

im sorry to hear of this happening, but my guess is that he got his money and i doubt youll hear from him ever again. i hope at least the car is in relatively good condition other than what was mentioned in your letter!

I feel very sorry for your pain... That's really too bad... Someone is always trying to get over something on someone... That's good reasons to >>> Never ever buy/purchase with out seeing the car "in person", ever !! or at least paying someone or having a professional, to look at it for you, if you can't spend the time or money to go see the investment yourself, before buying/purchasing, it saves so much in hassles & time &/or aggravations later on... Again I feel your pain & regret that you have to go thru all of this stuff....

I feel very sorry for your pain... That's really too bad... Someone is always trying to get over something on someone... That's good reasons to >>> Never ever buy/purchase with out seeing the car "in person", ever !! or at least paying someone or having a professional, to look at it for you, if you can't spend the time or money to go see the investment yourself, before buying/purchasing, it saves so much in hassles & time &/or aggravations later on... Again I feel your pain & regret that you have to go thru all of this stuff....

Sometimes this is just not economically feasible.

The point is the guy is simply an out and out liar as he was asked very detailed specific question about the car and lied. I can deal with someone that evades a direct question or chooses not to answer it at all and can make my own decisions as to how to interpete that but when a guy just out and out lies then you are at his mercy.

The items he lied about to ME are not going to ruin me financially but if he lies about this what will he do in his new business? It is the principal of the matter.

Overall I am happy with the car. I paid what I believe to be (after reviewing the market on these cars for over 6 months) top dollar for the car I bought. I knew what kind of money I was going to have in the car when completed the way I want it. It is enough of a hassle to deal with the knowns let alone the unknowns because someone lies.

Yep unscrupulous seller at best...

Sorry to read of your issues with your less then honest seller. Sounds as though the worst part of the transaction will be the paperwork. Hopefully the car has a clean history and you can use a title company from a state with less stringent requirements. If it turns up as stolen, well that could be a real problem. Good luck, and let us know how you make out on a title.

The guy is a lying POS...

Sometimes this is just not economically feasible.

I agree 100%... But sometimes it means, in hindsight, "your money ahead too", in the long run, when all is said & done, with all the issues, lies, problems, registering it etc., it could have been money well spent, if you got the car cheap enough, it's just a bad deal with a lier, after 1st hand knowledge & seeing it in person, you could have addressed the issues, face to face, it's not that easy to lie & be deceiving, when your right there looking at it in person, you could have just walked away or got it much cheaper maybe &/or then maybe bought the other car instead... I'm not bashing you, at all, it's just an observation, it's just what I do religiously & I hope you get it all resolved soon... keep us posted...

hopefully others will learn from this and if they have to deal with long range deals and cannot find a third party to check said vehicle, the buyer can have the seller verify what does and does not work and put it on paper and notorized with a copy for each party so legal settlements can be established.

Yeah buying these cars can be a crap shoot sometimes, especially across country.
I bought a 71 r/t through pics and after talking to the owner alot. I did get a good vibe, and list of how the car was. When I had it picked up, I paid the driver a few to check some key points. Car was delivered as described and it worked out well. I had a good seller luckily. I feel your pain.
Could you not work the deal since you noticed some issues? Or even walked? I know from personal experience you get a vibe one way or the other from people, if I get that vibe I will walk, even if I think it is a good deal.

For every good car guy out there, there is the bad egg who is looking for his next target. Well I believe bad karma comes around, sooner for some I hope.

Congrats on the car anyways, enjoy.
Where's the pics!!!

Stories like this make me want to get a posse together and go after the no good SOB.

Being that you are a fan of this year Charger you will come out OK because I think you will end up keeping it for a long time, especially after you get it dialed in the way you want, but it might not hurt to get some legal advice to see if you have a leg to stand on. I'm sure the cost of taking him to court may be at least two times what it costs to fix all that stuff yourself but you never know until you ask.

I subscribe to Sports Car Market magazine only because it has a lot of good info related to the car hobby. One such perk is the Legal Files written by columnist John Draneas http://www.sportscarmarket.com/columns-blogs/legal-files-by-john-draneas You will have to sign up to read the full articles but it may help you decide how to proceed. If you don't want to sign up I can probably find some back issues related to your situation and send you the mags.

Anyway, best of luck to you and hope it works out well.

I have sold at least 5 cars across country and never had a complaint from any of the buyers but I tell them everything about the car the good the bad and the ugly. I just wish that people would be honest about what they are selling, my reputation is worth to much.

Stories like this make me want to get a posse together and go after the no good SOB.

Being that you are a fan of this year Charger you will come out OK because I think you will end up keeping it for a long time, especially after you get it dialed in the way you want, but it might not hurt to get some legal advice to see if you have a leg to stand on. I'm sure the cost of taking him to court may be at least two times what it costs to fix all that stuff yourself but you never know until you ask.

I subscribe to Sports Car Market magazine only because it has a lot of good info related to the car hobby. One such perk is the Legal Files written by columnist John Draneas http://www.sportscarmarket.com/columns-blogs/legal-files-by-john-draneas You will have to sign up to read the full articles but it may help you decide how to proceed. If you don't want to sign up I can probably find some back issues related to your situation and send you the mags.

Anyway, best of luck to you and hope it works out well.

It is not worth the aggravation to do any of that. Anytime anyone does a search of his name this thread will come up as well as any other place i post his name and that is good enough for me. Karma will do the rest.

first off i am sorry that it was a canadian that pulled this. trust me he is not the norm. this 5 page pre-purchase check list might be your out. if it was me i would, google yourself a para-legal in his home town or area and have a chat to see your options in that province. if it was here in ontario province i could sue in small claims court for up to $10,000.00 and i could do it with a para-legal which is much cheaper than a lawyer. he might also work on a %. here in ontario he has to pay all costs associated with the chase if he looses. that usually is enough to get it settled if you have a case and also if he has a reputable job he might not want this on his plate. this is my thinking but, i would let him know that if it comes to a claims court decision his employer will be notified of the integrity of his middle manager, more gas on the fire.
good luck with your decision and if i can help pm me for more thoughts. i hate getting screwed with out retaliation of some sort.
i would like a blank copy of that pre-purchase check list, pls. rick

Just so everyone is clear about this regarding what I expected from him. After I posted this here and alerted him that I was going to take action to tell the world through the Internet he must have Googled himself and found this thread. He then threatened the owner/moderator of the site. This is what I sent to Myles Karn in a recent email after he discovered what kind of damage all of this may do to him.

"I was not asking you for a lot, just to fix a FEW of the things that you lied about. You were getting off easy on the oil burning engine as I really only cared about it getting the car home for the complete drivetrain I had waiting for it. Of all the things you lied about I only asked that you pay for the EL and tach repairs. The EL repair was $155. plus my labor. The Tach repair remains to be seen as I have not had the time to test it and see if it is the sender or the tach itself. Either way it will likely be under $500. So, was that small amount of money in the grand scheme of things worth it to you? It is not a lot of money to me but it IS the principal of the matter. Actually I am glad it happened this way and you chose to be a cheapskate about it because now not just me but the world will know what kind of a guy you are."

It is not worth the aggravation to do any of that. Anytime anyone does a search of his name this thread will come up as well as any other place i post his name and that is good enough for me. Karma will do the rest.

I understand and agree completely. Just threw it out there as an FYI.

Don't Forget..

about the registration issue as long as you have his attention. The VIN number discrepancies that have to be resolved in Canada, according to your DMV...Unless you have figured a way around that issue..

Jeff

Did he respond ??

Just so everyone is clear about this regarding what I expected from him. After I posted this here and alerted him that I was going to take action to tell the world through the Internet he must have Googled himself and found this thread. He then threatened the owner/moderator of the site. This is what I sent to Myles Karn in a recent email after he discovered what kind of damage all of this may do to him.

"I was not asking you for a lot, just to fix a FEW of the things that you lied about. You were getting off easy on the oil burning engine as I really only cared about it getting the car home for the complete drivetrain I had waiting for it. Of all the things you lied about I only asked that you pay for the EL and tach repairs. The EL repair was $155. plus my labor. The Tach repair remains to be seen as I have not had the time to test it and see if it is the sender or the tach itself. Either way it will likely be under $500. So, was that small amount of money in the grand scheme of things worth it to you? It is not a lot of money to me but it IS the principal of the matter. Actually I am glad it happened this way and you chose to be a cheapskate about it because now not just me but the world will know what kind of a guy you are."

Did he respond back, after that ??, or did he offer to make the issues good with cash or something ??, what about the registration/title issues ??, that could be a real stickler/problem there, especially across country lines/borders... I hope you get something for your troubles... Keep fighting the good fight & Best of luck

I conacted the Canadian MPI (equivelent of DMV) and got them to correct it and send to AZ. DMV so the title is corrected and in my name in AZ. now.

Oh, he has been in contact with me since I posted about all of this on the Internet and CLAIMING that he responded to me, did not lie about the car's condition, blah, blah, blah. Like I told him, once you stop communicating and then suddenly become available again when you feel damaged you lose all credibility for anything you say regarding "oh, didn't you get my email?" Yeah, right, funny how that one conveniently did not come through.

Allegedly sent an e-mail... I heard that a few times... That's the new saying in the millennium for, "the checks in the mail" or "it must have got lost in the mail", you didn't get the e-mail ??... wow something must be wrong with my IP server...

At least, you got the car in your name with the arizona title.Now you can move forward on that aspect of things.I hope all the other misfortunes that happened get resolved in your favor.

Auto Transport Service
Back