• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery suspension

Red Ryder

Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
I bought a 1936 Ford with stock frame and a modified front suspension. The guy I purchased the car from thought it was from an Aspen. The car has longitudinal torsion bars, and the research I've done seems to point to a B body for that set up. Car has ps rack and pinion unit, but I run it without the power. I like the ride and handling, and the fact I can adjust the ride where I want it. I would like to find out for sure what front end I'm dealing with so I can focus my search for repair/replacement parts. Would appreciate some guidance from you guys to help me figure it out. Thanks.

F body torsion bars were transverse, and were in FRONT of the K frame. If the bars are longitudinal, then it's not from an F body. Best I know of, there wasn't an "old" Mopar with longitudinal torsion bars that had rack and pinion suspension.

Maybe a pic would help

69Runner,
Thanks for the response. That's what I determined when I started looking for info on this set up. Definitely not a transverse system. Thought maybe it might be Cordoba, but, like you say, can't seem to find any reference to rack and pinion in the Cordoba info I've reviewed. I have a few photo's of the chassis, so I'll see if I have somethng that might help. I'll get 'em posted as soon as I can. Thanks again.

The part number for the bars should be stamped in the end of the bars at the rear if they are from a B body and can be read with them in place. With the part number you should be able to determine what they were intalled in originally.

The B body and E body bars are 41 inches long. If the set up has sliding upper controle arms and the top shock mount is part of the K frame. It will be a 73 to 79 B body set up. I can't imagine an older than 73 B body being used for that because the upper controle arms and shocks mount to the unit body. The steering set up is after market, people like extreme engineering carry them.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you've confirmed my suspicion that the rack is a modification. One more piece to try to ID.
I'll get the car in the air today and measure and look for a stamp on the bars. If the stamp is on the rearward end, you can see from the picture that it might be hard to see. Looks like there boxed in. The guy built this like a tank. No lack of steel reinforcement. I guess that's far better than the alternative. Shocks go through the arms, and are type with threaded studs on the top, with eye's on the bottom. Here's a few photo's. I have changed the spindles (Fatman 2" drop for mopar) since these were taken. I was able to back off the torsion bars quite a bit, and maintained the stance once those were installed. It really improved the ride.

Checked the numbers on the torsion bar ends - Drivers side = 659L/253 Passsenger = 658R/263. They appear to be closer to 42" from rear of bar to front mount.

Front Suspension 2.jpg

Front Suspension 3.jpg

Front Suspension 1.jpg

Tranny 1.jpg

Thanks again for the help with this....

Front Suspension 2.jpg

Front Suspension 3.jpg

Front Suspension 1.jpg

Tranny 1.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back