• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Name this Wheel!

68 Sport Satellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:47 PM
Reaction score
Do any of you recognize this 15" drag racing wheel? I saw it while watching Pass Time on Speed and managed to snap a shot of it. I'm shopping for new snazzy wheels for my '68 Satellite and have been going back and forth in my head between Centerline Convo Pros, Weld Drag Lites, and these unknown wheels that I've seen several times. I just don't know who makes them or where to get them. I see that they have a blue center cap if that means anything.

Has anyone seen these before?

Attachments

• DragWheel.JPG
    DragWheel.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 506
thanks guys, but definitely not weld pro stars or fast fives. Look at the how the triangle holes are smaller and located at the center of the wheel with that circular lip half way in. It gives it a more filled in look than the other two you've mentioned.

To me, they almost look like if you took the holes of a convo pro and moved them towards the center, then removed the convolutes. I love the looks of the convo pros, but only when new and shiny. I've seen many that are a few years old and they look like crap. I guess it's tough to keep those suckers polished with all of those convoluted ridges.

hmmm....i see what you mean. could they be bigger diameter rims with the same size center star??? lol

Wheels

They are called "Aluma Stars" by Weld

I have a set for my Belvedere... definatly NOT a street wheel! (BUT dam they look bitchen!!!)

They move around on the street... not made for potholes or curves...lol. They are a very strong wheel, just not for side loads.

You can see them here:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLD-788-504270/

The other thing with purchasing "race wheels" they usually come in even backspacing for rears... 3" 4" 5" etc...

Street wheels come in 1/2" B/S sizing... 3 1/2", 4 1/2",
5 1/2" etc.

Just in case your looking to switch back and forth... steelies to A/S. I run a 1/2" spacer on my steelies for the street. When I narrowed the rearend, I made it to fit the "Race wheels". (Which are 4" BS) Its hard to make steel wheels with less than
4 1/2" B/S without going reverse. I don't like the look!

Hope it helps-

DJ-

They are called "Aluma Stars" by Weld

I have a set for my Belvedere... definatly NOT a street wheel! (BUT dam they look bitchen!!!)

They move around on the street... not made for potholes or curves...lol. They are a very strong wheel, just not for side loads.

You can see them here:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLD-788-504270/

The other thing with purchasing "race wheels" they usually come in even backspacing for rears... 3" 4" 5" etc...

Street wheels come in 1/2" B/S sizing... 3 1/2", 4 1/2",
5 1/2" etc.

Just in case your looking to switch back and forth... steelies to A/S. I run a 1/2" spacer on my steelies for the street. When I narrowed the rearend, I made it to fit the "Race wheels". (Which are 4" BS) Its hard to make steel wheels with less than
4 1/2" B/S without going reverse. I don't like the look!

Hope it helps-

DJ-

DJ - great info! Thanks. I didn't know about the backspacing thing.
I don't think these are Weld Alumstars. Kind of hard to tell from the deep dish photo on the summit website, but the photo I posted has that fairly wide circular lip where the arms of the star end and I don't see that same look on the alumastars.

Great point though about some of these race wheels not doing well on the street. Do you think I would have a similar problem on the street with either Weld Draglights or the Convo Pros? Am I better off to stick with my steelies? A lighter wheel is just much more attractive...

Wheels

Morning 68 Sport-

Your correct after looking more closely, I think they might be Monocoque's... or earlier Aluma stars...

Either way, not the best bet for the street. If you go with the Convo's (had on my 68' Runner) or Draglights (I had them on my Hemi Cuda, loved the look!) they both are a street/strip wheels. Those are not bolted together like the race wheels thus enabling you NOT to have to run tubes. No leakes and less unsprung weight.

Good luck either way your car will benefit by the different "attitude" the new wheels provide.

DJ

Morning 68 Sport-

Your correct after looking more closely, I think they might be Monocoque's... or earlier Aluma stars...

Either way, not the best bet for the street. If you go with the Convo's (had on my 68' Runner) or Draglights (I had them on my Hemi Cuda, loved the look!) they both are a street/strip wheels. Those are not bolted together like the race wheels thus enabling you NOT to have to run tubes. No leakes and less unsprung weight.

Good luck either way your car will benefit by the different "attitude" the new wheels provide.

DJ

DJ - I think you are correct my friend! The Monocoque's I pulled up on google images look very much like these wheels. I have never heard that brand Monocoque before, so thanks for that info.

It's very fortunate and informative that you've had the opportunity to run all 3 of these wheels on one car or another so I can benefit from your experience. So for primarily street duty I'll go with either the Draglites or Convo Pros. I've read occasional posts about Weld Wheels sometimes having cracking issues. I don't know why this would be, but it doesn't seem to prevent tons of people from running them. The convos are probably the lightest of all, but like I said, after a few years they can get looking pretty bad. If I keep up the polishing of the convos, in your experience did they stay looking pretty nice, or is it just the finish and maybe I'd be better off with the draglites?

Any un coated aluminum wheel is going to look awful quick, without a sealant. Once buffed to your desired shine, SEAL THEM UP FOR GOOD! Youll never need to polish them again. My personal favorite, Zoop Seal. Awesome product i use the stuff on all my polished wheels and parts. Just my 2 cents

Morning 68 Sport-

DJ

Came across a magazine this weekend with these wheels on a car and the write up said weld aluma stars. I stand corrected. Monocoques look the same to me too.

they look just like the cragers i got bt with a different center cap, bt i got crager street stars

Auto Transport Service
Back