• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Narrow Escape (Pit Bull)

Dibbons

Local time
11:15 PM
Reaction score
I posted this on FABO, also:

In my neck of the woods, two breeds dominant the neighborhood. If it's not a Chihuahua, it is a Pit Bull. My adult fifty-pound female Doberman is just a sissy, with the exception of chasing cats. Our morning walks on leash are 30 minutes through the dirt roads of this quiet residential area. I have never seen another person in this area walking their dog on a leash.

A few months ago, a white Pit Bull that runs loose in the fenced front yard and barks at us like crazy was out on the street and the gate to the front yard was wide open. The dog trotted over, and I froze while it began to sniff my Doberman. A man walks over from the house right away to recover the Pit Bull and assures me I have nothing to worry about.

A couple of mornings ago, the gate to the front yard is closed, but the same white Pit Bull is running loose on the street and nobody else is around. I move as far away as I can from the dog and try to continue down the street, but it approaches us anyway. It barks and starts to circle around my Doberman while I yell and holler and try to pull my dog to safety. The Pit Bull decides to retreat and I breathe a sigh of relief, but the scare took all of the fun out of my morning walk. The next couple of days the dog is closed up in the front yard, so he only barks as we pass by him on the opposite side of the street.

Today, from a distance, I spot the white Pit Bull again, sitting on the opposite side of the street in front of a neighbor's house along with a second Pit Bull (brown). You see, this other neighbor has THREE Pit Bulls--two are always tied up with chains in the front yard while the brown one is free to run around in the front yard loose, while the double gate to the street is normally closed. But this morning, for some reason, the gate that retains the brown dog is wide open and no one there to watch the brown dog.

So I stop with my leashed Doberman a long way before reaching the immediate vicinity of the two Pit Bulls. I see the gate of the white Pit Bull is wide open, but there is a lady out front raking leaves. From a distance still, I have to holler pretty loud to ask the lady if the white Pit is hers. She looks toward me, says nothing, and continues to rake. I holler one or two more times and it seems she shakes her head in the affirmative and then goes back to raking.

I stand there in the middle of the street, still a safe distance away, and the lady keeps raking. Now I ask her to put the dog away: yelling once-no response, yelling twice-no reaction, yelling a third time-she puts the rake against the cyclone fence and walks inside toward the house.

By now the white Pit Bull is alerted and begins to stalk us, while the brown Pit Bull stays seated to watch the action. When the white dog is almost within striking distance, I see a teen-age boy walk out from the front gate with the stupid lady standing there behind him. The kid starts walking toward us at a snail's pace while I begin to holler and ask him to pull his dog away from us.

Now the dog is chasing my Doberman in circles, while I holler and try to pull my dog away (with the leash) each time the Pit Bull lunges toward her. Finally, I pull so hard that my dog's leash and collar slide clear off. Now the Pit Bull has it's jaws around the neck of my dog. The dumb-***, slow-as-mud teen kid finally arrives on the scene and pulls the damn dog away.

My Doberman's neck is now covered in slobber from the white Pit Bull, but I don't see any blood. But can you imagine the scene if the second Pit Bull (brown) had decided to join the ruckus?

After I calm my dog down, I continue up the street. The white Pit Bull and kid are nowhere to be seen. The lady continues to rake leaves in the street in front of the house with her back to me, not a word, no apology, nothing. I'm guessing she is a maid or housekeeper or something.

Carry a metal pipe or bat with you
When you walk your dog.
Sounds like you might need it one day
Many dogs are smarter then the owner
Good luck

12-year-u.s.-dog-bite-statistics-.jpg

My 1st choice of weapon would be a .45 but thats not possible in your neck of the woods. My 2nd choice would be a pipe and some pepper spray.
Inform the police

I posted this on FABO, also:

In my neck of the woods, two breeds dominant the neighborhood. If it's not a Chihuahua, it is a Pit Bull. My adult fifty-pound female Doberman is just a sissy, with the exception of chasing cats. Our morning walks on leash are 30 minutes through the dirt roads of this quiet residential area. I have never seen another person in this area walking their dog on a leash.

A few months ago, a white Pit Bull that runs loose in the fenced front yard and barks at us like crazy was out on the street and the gate to the front yard was wide open. The dog trotted over, and I froze while it began to sniff my Doberman. A man walks over from the house right away to recover the Pit Bull and assures me I have nothing to worry about.

A couple of mornings ago, the gate to the front yard is closed, but the same white Pit Bull is running loose on the street and nobody else is around. I move as far away as I can from the dog and try to continue down the street, but it approaches us anyway. It barks and starts to circle around my Doberman while I yell and holler and try to pull my dog to safety. The Pit Bull decides to retreat and I breathe a sigh of relief, but the scare took all of the fun out of my morning walk. The next couple of days the dog is closed up in the front yard, so he only barks as we pass by him on the opposite side of the street.

Today, from a distance, I spot the white Pit Bull again, sitting on the opposite side of the street in front of a neighbor's house along with a second Pit Bull (brown). You see, this other neighbor has THREE Pit Bulls--two are always tied up with chains in the front yard while the brown one is free to run around in the front yard loose, while the double gate to the street is normally closed. But this morning, for some reason, the gate that retains the brown dog is wide open and no one there to watch the brown dog.

So I stop with my leashed Doberman a long way before reaching the immediate vicinity of the two Pit Bulls. I see the gate of the white Pit Bull is wide open, but there is a lady out front raking leaves. From a distance still, I have to holler pretty loud to ask the lady if the white Pit is hers. She looks toward me, says nothing, and continues to rake. I holler one or two more times and it seems she shakes her head in the affirmative and then goes back to raking.

I stand there in the middle of the street, still a safe distance away, and the lady keeps raking. Now I ask her to put the dog away: yelling once-no response, yelling twice-no reaction, yelling a third time-she puts the rake against the cyclone fence and walks inside toward the house.

By now the white Pit Bull is alerted and begins to stalk us, while the brown Pit Bull stays seated to watch the action. When the white dog is almost within striking distance, I see a teen-age boy walk out from the front gate with the stupid lady standing there behind him. The kid starts walking toward us at a snail's pace while I begin to holler and ask him to pull his dog away from us.

Now the dog is chasing my Doberman in circles, while I holler and try to pull my dog away (with the leash) each time the Pit Bull lunges toward her. Finally, I pull so hard that my dog's leash and collar slide clear off. Now the Pit Bull has it's jaws around the neck of my dog. The dumb-***, slow-as-mud teen kid finally arrives on the scene and pulls the damn dog away.

My Doberman's neck is now covered in slobber from the white Pit Bull, but I don't see any blood. But can you imagine the scene if the second Pit Bull (brown) had decided to join the ruckus?

After I calm my dog down, I continue up the street. The white Pit Bull and kid are nowhere to be seen. The lady continues to rake leaves in the street in front of the house with her back to me, not a word, no apology, nothing. I'm guessing she is a maid or housekeeper or something.
How is this a "narrow escape"? The vicious dogs are still around and you're afraid to walk your dog. Hell, if your dog could talk, she'd say "What are you doing?". Sounds to me like you're a prisoner in your own neighborhood.

Last edited:
Why dont you file a complaint with your local police? That and carry a 44 loaded with rock salt. Or a can of mace.

Mace won't slow them. I love dogs, but the mindset of most who live in urban North-America and have those dogs, are on about an equal intelligence level. If you feel truly threatened, carry a hi-cap pistol. One or more dogs are gonna require lots of rounds. Canines check-out mentally, when attacking.

Last edited:
I'd like to see actual figures and documentation of 3% Husky bite fatalities. I've had and been around Huskies for thirty-five years, and only seen one fairly aggressive male. He was chained and neglected.
My fathers Husky attacked my 5 year old tore half his face, we had a great plastic surgeon that was able to save my sons face.

I'd like to see actual figures and documentation of 3% Husky bite fatalities. I've had and been around Huskies for thirty-five years, and only seen one fairly aggressive male. He was chained and neglected.
Any dog, especially medium and large breeds, can be unpredictable under extreme circumstances. Pit bulls, however; well there's something about them that's not right as a breed. They missed a few classes over the eons in the domestication department.

pit bulls are bred to be catch dogs, its in their DNA. i agree with others, mace or pepper spray, i personally like kimbers GEL. or a steal pipe if not a judge pistol with #6 or #7 shot in it.

Call your local law enforcement and file a report/complaint. Then, have local law enforcement witness your next leashed dog walk.

What are you allowed to use for self defense in Mexico?

what im getting out of this is,
you already knew the dog was left loose,why even go that way??
and then,you stood there and holllered until the dog finally came down to see what the human was doing shouting?
and then the dog mostly slobbered on your dog?
and then you Never went back to that house by yourself or with witnesses and maybe Discuss this with the dogs owner?

hmm.
as the owner of a rescue/pitbull,its how you raise them/treat them that counts.
it sounds like you have shitty neighbors and this will happen again until you or some other person does something about it.

final thought,just like humans,not all dogs are the same.
this is my rescue pit bull,she Will lick you to death.
she is so gentle she lets kids play with her.
in comparison,my last dog Stooge,was a red -w blueeyes husky that Would nip people,would act up,he was a rescue too,but deffo had a diff nature.
IMG_20180421_145530.jpg

I would think I have the right to walk down my own street and ask another dog owner from a distance to put their dog inside.

I have walked this same route now for months and months minding my own business. If I turned and went a different way every time I saw a loose dog on the street, I would never get home. The "norms" in Mexico leave a little to be desired for someone. There are just as many dogs loose around here as dogs fenced inside. Seeing that I'm the only resident here walking a dog on a leash should tell you something.

Last edited:
I would think I have the right to walk down my own street and ask another dog owner from a distance to put their dog inside.
i think that you are right,but you Will have to take action.
from your own words,whoever was raking didnt appear to be the owner of the dog?
so the whole yelling bit was more of an attention getter to the pitbull than the person raking apparently.

surely,you realize you will have to speak to the owners directly...
OR your towns local dog warden??
and hopefully before someone else or yourself has another episode.
thats my point,and im Glad that the pitbull only slobbered on your dog too,that could have been much worse.

Maybe my description was mis-leading--the kid pulled the dog away at the same moment the dog put his jaws around my Doberman's neck. That is what I mean by "narrow escape"--saved by milliseconds!

Auto Transport Service
Back