• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NASCAR style air intake box's

66/440

Local time
5:19 PM
Reaction score
I know that '62 models did not come with hood scoops from the factory and the go-to is the next year model scoops and I think they look great. But, just considering all options and trying to see what else might work. Has anyone installed or had any experience with the under hood fresh air intake boxes that pull air from the grill below the front windshield ala NASCAR early 60's style?

00y0y_iAuG6rPWdrB_1200x900.jpg
download (1).jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
petty-64.jpg

Spectra makes a variety of air boxes for universal use. I was considering one but my intake system is too tall to allow hood clearance so scoop it is.
Mike

Here's my set up. Do not hard mount it directly from the motor to the firewall cowl induction, the motor movement will tear it up. We copied the NASCAR approach and had a leather "belt" made that joints the air cleaner to the firewall softly. I also have a Nichel's NASCAR intake for the same application I can make available.

PxoE3ZfGQciBq+mYbjAfXw.jpg

Here's my set up. Do not hard mount it directly from the motor to the firewall cowl induction, the motor movement will tear it up. We copied the NASCAR approach and had a leather "belt" made that joints the air cleaner to the firewall softly. I also have a Nichel's NASCAR intake for the same application I can make available.

View attachment 815747
I have poly mounts on my 440 and there is zero movement just a thought

View attachment 815747

Do you know a source for that air cleaner housing or did you fabricate it? Looks great!

I
I know that '62 models did not come with hood scoops from the factory and the go-to is the next year model scoops and I think they look great. But, just considering all options and trying to see what else might work. Has anyone installed or had any experience with the under hood fresh air intake boxes that pull air from the grill below the front windshield ala NASCAR early 60's style?
I am not a fan of cowl engine intakes unless for period looks. I think they only maybe work as intended in the triple digit speed range and are outdated technology with today's focus often on aero.
Its a long-reasoned mindset.
Anyway, this is my noncompetitive track solution of my "under scoop" and front rad cowl without the horizontal divider yet installed above the rad inlet on a 62 Polara 500

IMG_0297 underscoop.jpg

IMG_1932  rad inlet.JPG

^ That looks bad ***!

I contemplated the same myself but testing/measuring with clay on my car gave me less than .500 over the core support so really restricted/rubbing best case scenario.

Just guessing but by the photos looks like your minimum area (inside dimensions) is around 14x1.9?

What material did you use for the air cleaner to air box seal?
Mike

^ That looks bad ***!

I contemplated the same myself but testing/measuring with clay on my car gave me less than .500 over the core support so really restricted/rubbing best case scenario.

Just guessing but by the photos looks like your minimum area (inside dimensions) is around 14x1.9?

Thank you.
First, it's not a race set-up, just a cruiser. The upper crossmember of the radiator support I modified for easy center section bolted removal for ease of engine swaps, and while it was out I added 1" in height to allow larger intake openings (5). The radiator also was lowered approx 1.5" and moved rearward 2". The SS large screen was to protect the rad from rocks. and the help smooth out the likely rather turbulent air flow thru the rad. You might also see the two air flow bell mouth CF flanges rad inlet air. The majority of the rad air enters from below the grill, and the grille has a very fine SS mesh attached to the back of the grille, to restrict air flow, and redirect that air to the gap between the hood and the grille, which feeds the sealed cavity above the radiator for the 5 openings for engine inlet air.

Good Approximation on size, its 2" H inside and if I remember it's 16" wide.

Last edited:
What material did you use for the air cleaner to air box seal?
Mike
Will use CF, but its not finished, as I thought best to wait until I drop in a warmed up 360 with a Pro4 EFI set-up because of height unknowns until I do.
Previous owner pulled a 361/4bbl/727 and installed a 273/4bbl/4spd.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back