• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Natural safety switch

tom jaffeux

Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
Hope I can get some information(help) just found out my transmission in my 68 satellite is a 1975 transmission my issue is it had a one pin Neutral safety switch. I would like to switch to 3 pin but I have to idea how to wire it up any information will be Appreciated
Thanks Tom

IIRC, you just use the center pin.... Dont take my word for it tho.... you'd need to verify with a mutimeter.... What you are trying to accomplish is to establish a path to GROUND from the starter relay, through the wiring through the neutral safety switch ( the safety switch then grounds to the trans case internally at park or neutral positions). Pretty sure thats how it works... You can buy the three pin plug assembly for your newer safety switch, and just use the one lead that you need. The other two leads are for the reverse lights, so you just dont use them, cuz your car has that handled elsewhere in the harness already. Maybe head over to MyMopar.com for the wiring diagram for your vehicle may help as well. I would not attempt to use a single post nuetral safety switxh on your newer valve body trans. HTH, Lefty71

Yes its just a ground. You "can" just ground the wire off the starter relay. I have the opposite issue where my 72 has a 68 transmission.
Good luck.

If you want a clean installation, get the plug ( available at several places on $15-20 rate ) and use the central pin wire ( brown with yellow trace ) straight to the Starter relay ground prong and you are done.

neutral-safety-switch-connector-25.jpg

The outer wires are for back up lamps, but since your 68 gets these straight to the shifter you won't use it. Unless you want to "upgrade it".

If you want, just will need to extend your shifter switch wires up to the NSS plug and done. One is power from fuse box ACC side, the other one is the output to backup lamps.

Some pigtails use dual black wires one of them traced white for outer wires ( tipically used up to 74 ) some other with a black and a violet wires ( tipically from 75 ), but they are the same deal.

Solid black use to be used from the ACC source, and the traced wire (violet on laters ) the power to backup lamps, but it will work the same if reversed.

Last edited:
Interesting that the single pole worked in the 75, 727. The detent of the combs are different. The 3 pole switch along with the pigtail that Nacho-RT74 pictured is the correct setup for you 75 model.
The center parts are for 66-68, the parts on the right are for 69 & up.

6965331-NSSwitches (1).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back