• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need a little input on a gm rear....

Bb70charger500

Local time
7:01 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys I've been puttsin around with my 38 caddy a but lately it's kinda a rat rod deal dirt cheap .....
So I got a 1979 elco for the rear section (free)
Got it all grafted on frame went to clean rear up pulled cover and there's a few big chunks laying on magnet!!!!!!
So I went looking teeth look good I could see so I started to pull it apart got the center pin out with great difficulty so I figured my problem was close .
Well I see these spring things behind everything and noticed they were kinda crooked and missing some metal!
I finally got pin out and pulled chunk pulled input out too all looked fine so I'm looking at this deal and assuming it's what makes this thing a posi!
So can I just snatch it out of there and go back together? I don't really care if cars a posi it not as it's just a 38 caddy with a 305 and a 5 speed on air ride not a race car .

Any input would be helpful trying to keep this cheap!

I do have two other 10 bolts in corner of garage but there from 83 and a 85 firebird
Next ? Is can I just steal a Chunk out of one of them? Or are these things different?

God I hate gm !
KIMG1440.JPG

Yes, you can swap the "carrier" and gear set from another 8.5in rear. But, set up and special tools will be required.
Is the posi carrier pictured damaged? If no, just put it back together with a new cross pin and bolt.
If you removed the pinion gear, then pinion bearing preload and a new crush sleeve is required. Again set up, and special tools will be required.
Did you also remove the pinion seal and front bearing?

Ok looks like it's the little rear 7.5 and my others are the big ones . I'll re bearing it and new seals that's easy . The thing is can I loose the spring deal in center to make it a non posi

Ok looks like it's the little rear 7.5 and my others are the big ones . I'll re bearing it and new seals that's easy . The thing is can I loose the spring deal in center to make it a non posi
No.
Why would you?

The holder is broken and springs are gone I don't need a posi

I don't know about leaving them out. It might work.

upload_2020-11-8_12-24-41.png

Thanks guys . Wanted to give closer on this I actually found a rebuilt rear that had low miles car got hit in front got the rear for $275! So thank God that's done with only issue is the new rear seems to be a 8.5 not a big issue but was out of a chevelle so the mounting ears are a bit wider apart but I believe a easy fix at that
Thanks all on input

Auto Transport Service
Back