• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need a pic or diagram, 66-67 318, A/C, belt, pulley placement

G.V.Charger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:25 AM
Reaction score
A friend of mine just picked up a 66 E code Charger, was a poly, now a LA. Dropped it off for some service, and there are a few issue's. I will post a few pics later today. Alternator is running on the crank pulley only? and A/C is running the water pump...I assuming that the one pulley water pump pulley is incorrect. Checked my manual, and they don't illustrate the actual set up. Checked the 340 Dart, and discovered the pulley depth (water pump), different by 3 inches. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my 67 Belvedere 318 factory AC car. The alternator and water pump share a belt. The AC compressor is on its own with an adjuster pulley and an idler. The power steering pump is on its own. Please disregard the mismatched belts. Let me know if you need any other photos.
20210619_103120.jpg
20210619_103144.jpg
20210619_103139.jpg

Mint, that's the shot, confirms we have the wrong water pump pulley, and short the small idler assembly..
Thank you!!

Just an FYI. When you get the idler pulley, do not run a belt with the corrugations on the outside. It's going to whistle like a son of a bich. That's why my AC belt is different.

Went thru the car yesterday, hoping to find extra piece's in the trunk, under seats etc. The small idler wheel assembly does not exist. How next to impossible, is this assembly to find?
Will post a want add here.

I am not sure where you are going to find one. But here are two more photos to give you a clearer picture of what you are looking for. The pulley itself was just an off-the-shelf item at the local parts store. Actually, you might be able to get away without the idler at all. I did run mine without the pulley when I was trying to diagnose a whistling sound that I was getting.
20210621_183509.jpg
20210621_183554.jpg

Posted a WTB add earlier, Mopar John responded with a pic of a few assemblies, did not recognize anything there, that resembled that idler. Overnight, another member posted what appears to be, that idler assembly. I'm starting to think the above idler is from something newer, and, as you stated above, it may not be required. The one thing that does stand out, is that the 67 manual pic looks, like the adjustable pullet assembly is on the drivers side. Will post a pic from the manual.

Last edited:
Ok, RT6PK, again, thanks for the pics, was out working on the 66, there was only one bolt holding the adjustable idler to the compressor mounting base. Further inspection revealed the 6 in bolt hanging out the back of the mount, so someone forgot a nut..So, it now makes sense, and the only thing to be changed, is the water pump pulley. Thru in a pic from the manual, yeah, it kinda indicates a different assembly.

IMG_0388.JPG IMG_0391.JPG IMG_0393.JPG

Yeah, that does look like a different assembly in the book. Mine could have been changed around at some point in the past.

Auto Transport Service
Back