• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on brake valves

rrTor-Red

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:48 AM
Reaction score
Have a 71 RR with HD power drums all around. Wanting to convert the fronts to discs using the spindles from a later B "Mopar brake swap" or "Disco-tech" way. Whats the difference between a proportioning valve, distribution valve, and a metering valve? What should I have and does anyone know a vendor or parts place to get one that will work?

Thanks!

prop valve will proportion the brake fluid flow from front to rear.(normally about 70% frnt and 30% rear)it is what is normally used on front disc rear drum.
a distribution block just splits the brake fluid to diff locations and is used on 4 wheel drum systems.
metering blocks are normally used to reduce flow in one direction not for spilitting the flow.
most aftermarket front disc rear drum systems can use aftermarket prop valves or a diverter block with an adjustable prop valve to the rear.the adjustable valve allows you to adjust the brake flow to the rear and is normally the easyest setup for a convertion system.

Thanks guys for the replies. I understand now. Got ahold of In-line tube. They suggest a proportining vavle from their site, a two piece. Also, I'm wanting to use stainless steel lines as well. Got a e-mail from a member that a brass prop valve will almost always leak with SS lines. Anyone have that happen? Or should I stick with OE material?

Again, thanks

The SS lines can be a pain in the rear to bend and double flare. I also heard sometimes it can be a PIA to get them to seat. On the flip side, don't have to worry about them rusting up like the regular steel ones.

just use the normal steel lines and change the brake fluid every few years and they wont rust.brake fluid absorbs water and changing it stop the rust.you will be much happier with the ease of instalation compared to ss lines.

WARNING... I have just gone through four metering valves from inline tube, classic industries and fine lines they all leak worse than the original one I was replacing. I am looking in to rebuilding mine. Good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back