• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on removing decals and graphics...

Big Bad Dad

Local time
12:26 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need advice. I sold my old Dodge, and am looking at newer, used pickups. Don't hate me, but I am leaning toward the "dark side", as I really don' t care for the Ram trucks that are no longer a Dodge... Anyway, I found a '13 Ford I like, but it has a stupid "Predator" package which is really nothing more than aftermarket wheels, fender flares, and decals. I can live with the other stuff, but the damn decals would need to leave if I buy this truck. You guys know if this decal package can be easily, and economically, removed without screwing up the factory paint and clear coat? It is a nice truck and a decent deal that I would like to have w/o the darn stickers....
Thanks

Ford for sale.jpg

Heat gun and peel. You can also use something called and eraser wheel. I like a citrus product call Xenit from Stoner for glue removal. Just don’t use a scraper or anything like that.

I used to take the van decals off my commercial trucks with a heat gun on low... just a little bit hotter than a good hair dryer and they would come right off. Then follow up for any leftover glue residue with acetone, or paint thinner. But I never cared too much about them as they were usually old if I was pulling my stickers off. I don't think acetone will dull the finish off baked on factory paint, but i would test somewhere inconspicuous before going too crazy with it. HTH, Lefty71

Look into a decal eraser wheel. Friend used one years ago on a muscle car to restripe it and it did not hurt the paint. That is a huge set of decals though...

With all the vehicles in the world, why not just find one you like.

Run a water hose off your house hot water tank .the hot water will relax the decal for easy removal. A heat gun will work as well. Stripe erasers work. As long as you dont hold it in one place to long. It could discolor the clear coat. Or remove the clear. Ford pickup clears are thin. So becareful.

Like a 2013 Ram instead of a 2013 Ferd :drama:
Because I like this Ford, and don't like the Rams. I like the old Dodges, but every one since the new Ram trucks came out in '94 have not impressed me. And, yes, I have experienced some of them.

I just hope those decals aren't hiding something underneath they look aftermarket

Like others said, use an eraser wheel in a drill. I used one of these on a commercial vehicle that had wide reflective stripes on it, worked beautifully. But it took a few hours - I could remove a four inch wide stripe at the rate of about twenty seconds per linear inch. And I ended up using about three of the wheels. It took off all the tape decal and adhesive, didn't touch the paint. Mine looked like this. The arbor for the drill had to be purchased separately.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Heavy-Duty-...012598?hash=item1ec7e9e1f6:g:JxYAAOSwrhBZJZ8B

Remove as stated above, but, there's a good chance the rest of the paint may look faded next to it. That's why I always have the dealer remove all emblems on my new cars as part of the deal to purchase. Every day you wait the more chance you have of the sun doing it's thing to the paint.

Thanks guys. I have decided to pass. I really liked the basic truck. But the aftermarket add on package with the decals also included bolt on fender flares and aftermarket wheels. I didn't really like them either. I would rather have a clean stock body...

Thanks guys. I have decided to pass. I really liked the basic truck. But the aftermarket add on package with the decals also included bolt on fender flares and aftermarket wheels. I didn't really like them either. I would rather have a clean stock body...
Those flares are pretty much bolted on on the lips . There could be rub marks on the outer edges from vibration .

Those flares are pretty much bolted on on the lips . There could be rub marks on the outer edges from vibration .

Or could be hiding rust. Water/salt can get in-between the flares and lip and eat the metal.

Or could be hiding rust. Water/salt can get in-between the flares and lip and eat the metal.
True enough. I guess different parts of the country can present different issues .

Funny, my old thread from 2019 popped up to me today. I had forgotten about that truck. I ended up buying another 2013 F150. I like the cleaner look of mine much better. Flame on, Ram boys! LOL
DSC01127.JPG

I always stumble across these threads while perusing the New Posts section. :poke:
This one tho, I guess I commented on, back in the day.

Auto Transport Service
Back