• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need distributor recommend 383 build

4mulas

Local time
1:34 PM
Reaction score
Probably been asked 1000 times but, I need a new distributor for a 383 I’m putting together. Need recommend.

The car/motor will have edelbrock aluminum heads, so clearance for that is a must, and is also carbureted.

The car also currently has a Mallory Hyfire VI AL in it that I intend to use.

What is:
A- a good choice to grow into for fuel injection and a future 451 or 470 motor

B- a good choice to use for current set up if it remains as is

C- a good economical choice to use for current set up if it remains as is

FBO ignition systems. I've had mine on since 2012 absolutely zero issues. He curves them for your build, you just tell him what you've got and he does the rest. Car starts right away every time and no big *** ugly red boxes in the engine bay. Distributor looks just like a stock one.

Probably been asked 1000 times but, I need a new distributor for a 383 I’m putting together. Need recommend.

The car/motor will have edelbrock aluminum heads, so clearance for that is a must, and is also carbureted.

The car also currently has a Mallory Hyfire VI AL in it that I intend to use.

What is:
A- a good choice to grow into for fuel injection and a future 451 or 470 motor

B- a good choice to use for current set up if it remains as is

C- a good economical choice to use for current set up if it remains as is
Eagle one,
What is wrong with the Mopar orange box (or the other Mopar units) and Mopar distributor (sometimes referred to as a "dizzy") recurved to suit your application. Why fo feel the meed for snything else....or...perhaps the good old points (according to some as sacrilege).....just curious..
Bob Renton

I didnt say anything is wrong with it but my experience is with FBO's setup. I've never used anything else.

I've never had a problem with the Mopar electronic/orange or silver box. I've also never had a problem with an AZ electronic distributer (just a rebuilt Mopar unit, need to get the correct ECU though) and finally if you want to spend more money get the MSD pro billet. I like it because it needs no ECU. Have one on my GTX for years. On a RB engine head will need some grinding to make the Pro Billet fit not sure on a 383. In my opinion the less expensive Mopar unit is the way to go.
Frank

Eagle one,
What is wrong with the Mopar orange box (or the other Mopar units) and Mopar distributor (sometimes referred to as a "dizzy") recurved to suit your application. Why fo feel the meed for snything else....or...perhaps the good old points (according to some as sacrilege).....just curious..
Bob Renton

There’s nothing wrong with them at all. Other than you can no longer get a Mopar performance distributor made by Mallory. The cheap ones are all Chinese junk so I hear.

I’m not trying to re-invent the wheel on ignition but I have a Mallory Hyfire VI AL already, concealed inside the car behind the radio delete plate on my dash so it’s not an engine bay eyesore.

With all the cars out there I’m surprised no one has really recommended a distributor that is readily available with the exception of the msd ready to run, which I have been looking but is pricey..... I suppose I could buy it and use it but wire the Mallory Hyfire as a back up should the msd ignition ever fail!

Any other options that people can recommend from real world experience? Thanks!

There’s nothing wrong with them at all. Other than you can no longer get a Mopar performance distributor made by Mallory. The cheap ones are all Chinese junk so I hear.

I’m not trying to re-invent the wheel on ignition but I have a Mallory Hyfire VI AL already, concealed inside the car behind the radio delete plate on my dash so it’s not an engine bay eyesore.

With all the cars out there I’m surprised no one has really recommended a distributor that is readily available with the exception of the msd ready to run, which I have been looking but is pricey..... I suppose I could buy it and use it but wire the Mallory Hyfire as a back up should the msd ignition ever fail!

Any other options that people can recommend from real world experience? Thanks!
Firecore makes a good distributor, fully adjustable timing curve and such. 3 years of performance street duty in a hot climate and still going. Not super expensive and works with the stock stuff. Fits my RPM heads and bigass aluminum covers fine. And here I was just about to replace it because I thought it went bad, turns out my good USA-made chrome Mopar ECU had enough after 2 years of service...FBO box works better than any of the different color mopar units ever did, for me at least...

I have the MSD ready to run. No complaints, much smaller than my previous Accel, I like that the cap screws down.
I bought the MSD that can be controlled by the efi system, haven't installed yet.

In both cases, bought from Summit and waited for them to go on sale, happens a few times a year, free shipping, no place cheaper.
Also bought replacement cap/rotor, module, etc, at same time as they were also marked down.

I didnt say anything is wrong with it but my experience is with FBO's setup. I've never used anything else.

Same here

thumbnail_20170204_132015_resized.jpg

Well I picked up a new take off 8386 msd ready to run with Taylor wires for a smokin deal.

So that decision is done and was made easy for me.

Auto Transport Service
Back