• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need for engine limiter straps ?

Mike Gaines

Local time
12:24 PM
Reaction score
With big horsepower motors (900+HP) what are the opinions for needing an engine limiter strap that limits the rearward (if any ?) movement of the motor at launch ?
Such as a "turnbuckle" utilizing a length of mild steel or chromoly tube with heim joints on either end attached to a "bracket" of some sort on the K-Member or frame and the other end to the block such as the one sold by Jegs described below....
Engine Limiter Kit; Incl. 0.75 in. Dia. DOM Steel Tube; 2 Chassis Tabs; Rod End; Engine Mounting Tube; Instructions; Fabrication/Welding Req.; Universal• Mounts diagonally between the engine block and the frame rail preventing the forward and rearward movement of the engine/transmission assembly during launch and braking conditions• Can be used in Front Motor Plate and Mid Mount Plate equipped race cars to further tie the engine to the chassis• The use of two kits positioned on either side of the engine is highly recommend for high horsepower race cars• Includes a 3/4" dia. DOM steel tube, two chassis tabs, a 1/2" high misalignment rod end, an engine mounting tube and complete instructions
Let me know ? 247-4034.jpg

247-4034.jpg

Attachments

• 555-64068.pdf
    198.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Mike you have been doing this along time. I'm not to far behind you but it has been only recently that I've seen and read about these.
It does make sense, and I never thought about the forward/aft movement, specially with engine plates thinking that being solid that they would never move. The massive amounts of horsepower/stress being made these days I can't see why not to use them.

I run them. Rod ends and grade 8 threaded rod. Adjust tighten and nothing changes.

IMG_1178.jpg

where are they attached on the motor ? Can't see.
Bolt to the motor mount lugs on the block using an L bracket. . Using the motor plate, the lugs are unused.

we were using them back in the late 80's
it's not a new thing at all

engine plates flex, it helps the engine & the trans
from moving back & forth, we put a Gopro under hood
when the chutes were pulled in my old Top-Sportsman/Outlaw Pro-stock
you could really see the
engine plates/elephant ears 1/4" 7075 &/or mid-plate 1/8" steel
really flex big time

nowhere near as man G's on a launch ever
than as much as when the chute was deployed

especially anything over 6.90's -7.00's 180-190mph on my altered
I could swore I could see the mid-plate flex 1/4" 7075
the front was just held on by 2 1/4" 7075 ears secured
to the front top rails, by house clamps they never broke either
there was no tranny mount, just an armor 3" tube covering the
splined Lenco trans yoke collar & solid 12 splined drive shaft, & slip collars
when the chute were deployed, even on a car with 0.90 - 0.94 60' times
it didn't move backwards very much at all, it was forward movement
I my case anyway

in a fully suspended car, it may move back some
you should have a trans mount or cross-member
to help limit that movement too
seen them mounted back there too,
triangulated to keep it from moving either direction

my experience anyway

Denzo alternator. 69 bucks. eBay.

Mine is set up like DVW's, but I only have one on the passenger's side. I have a front plate, no mid plate, and a poly trans mount. They definitely flex a lot w/o a limiter.

That's exactly how mine is. I use a thick L bracket on one of the crossmember bolts.

That's exactly how mine is. I use a thick L bracket on one of the crossmember bolts.
—-
Hey big hemi. Sounds like a big hemi. Lol. Do tell.

Mine is the same as DVW's. I run a front plate and a mid plate with my "medium" Hemi. Only a Lil 528".

Mine is the same as DVW's. I run a front plate and a mid plate with my "medium" Hemi. Only a Lil 528".
—-
Lil 528? lol.
I’m self teaching myself about hemi’s these days, reading and asking lots of questions. So far I’ve got a block.. a long ways to go.

—-
Lil 528? lol.
I’m self teaching myself about hemi’s these days, reading and asking lots of questions. So far I’ve got a block.. a long ways to go.

Make it 572 with big Comp roller cam, Molnar Crank, BME Rods, 14.5-1 JE Pistons, Stage V Heads & Rockers, Big fuel pump, Tunnel Ram with a pair of Dominators, MSD Dist and 7AL3 Box, big headers, 5500 Flash Ultimate Pro Trans with Brake, 3.5"Moly Driveshaft, Dana 60 with Spool, 15x14 wheels, big tires, etc, etc....AND THEN we can have our race after all...LOL.

Auto Transport Service
Back