• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need fuel tank help for my 66 Belvedere

BarryBum

Local time
11:25 AM
Reaction score
My 66 Belvedere had a new gas tank with it, but it was not installed. There was no tank strap or J bolt with the car. I ordered both of them, but I need to know how the tank plumbs up. The pipe that connects to the fender and goes down through the trunk is still connected. I have the curved pipe that connects from there, but I need to know if I need a 90 degree grommet type deal that connects the pipes or goes into the tank itself. The guy I bought the car from told me he had a 90 degree rubber grommet, where does that go? Do I need a straight grommet or what??? Please educate me on the plumbing of all this contraption stuff

I just bought a one owner 66 Belvedere last weekend. I was looking under there to see how much tire I can stuff in the wheel wells. I'll get pictures of all the tank stuff I can and post them.

My 66 Belvedere had a new gas tank with it, but it was not installed. There was no tank strap or J bolt with the car. I ordered both of them, but I need to know how the tank plumbs up. The pipe that connects to the fender and goes down through the trunk is still connected. I have the curved pipe that connects from there, but I need to know if I need a 90 degree grommet type deal that connects the pipes or goes into the tank itself. The guy I bought the car from told me he had a 90 degree rubber grommet, where does that go? Do I need a straight grommet or what??? Please educate me on the plumbing of all this contraption stuff
I don't think they repro the 66/67 j bolt, you can find used on ebay,. I've heard of people bending hardware store bolts to fit but never tried it. As far as under the car the filler tube that goes through the trunk gets connected to the tube that goes into the tank by a 90° hose same as is the vent tube , only the vent tube uses two 90 elbow hoses, there is another one at the tank. You can buy the hoses from most mopar vendors.I got mine at Jacks but I live close so I can pick it up to avoid shipping. Here's a photo of the hoses....There are also grommets for the vent tube and filler tube that go in the tank of a stock setup. There are new replacement tanks that don't use the vent tube grommet just the hoses, depends what you have.
elbow.jpg

I didn't manage to get pictures - yet - but I looked at my car and there is a small tube, possibly the vent (about 1" dia) that goes through a nice hole in the frame rail on its way to the tank.

They do reproduce the fuel tank J bolts. Here's a link to one on ebay. I believe Year One and other Mopar vendors also sell them.

Richard

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopa...m14QQhashZitem310090294292QQitemZ310090294292
That's not even close, the 66/67 bolt is like the end of a hook, it goes around and under the frame rail, it's not straight like other years.. It may work if they are long enough to bend. The stock strap is not long enough to use a straight bolt. That's the problem with yearone and the others, they sell them as a pair but there is really only one bolt. No one reproduces the right style that I'm aware of. This is a photo showing the difference....
4461305-jbolt%28Medium%29.jpg

Last edited:
You're absolutely correct Gary. I guess that I've just owned to many Mopar's as I thought for sure that I had used one of the above bolts on my 66 Coronet back in 2000 when I put a new fuel tank, fuel tank mounting strap and new mounting hardware on the car, but I must have retored my original "hook" style bolt, or found an NOS piece, because it looks brand new after just looking at it.

Sorry for the mis-information I posted above. :eek: :black_eye:

Richard

It's never easy with the 66/67 b's, they make new tanks and straps but you have to bend something to hold it all up...lol

here is a picture of the fuel tank strap hook ( original from 1966 )

1966 coronet original tank hook-1.jpg

Go to the hardware store, buy some "EYE" bolts, and cut them to make a "J" hook out of.

It's never easy with the 66/67 b's, they make new tanks and straps but you have to bend something to hold it all up...lol

Not a fuel system part, but another part that aftermarket vendors say will work on our 66-67 B-Body cars are the defroster vent nozzles shown in attached picture #1, :no: when in fact, we need the parts shown in attached picture #2 :yes: which nobody reproduces. :banghead: It would be REALLY nice to see a company who is dedicated to our 66-67 B-Body cars, so we could finally get ALL of the parts we need to complete a restoration project.

Richard

1962-66 A and B-Body dash vent grilles.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back