• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help 383 to far forward in 62 Fury

peakandscoot

Local time
4:05 PM
Reaction score
I have a 383 that was in the 62 Fury. It has the motor mount adapters for the 62 K frame. It worked at one time before for my uncle. But now that i put the engine in it is to far forward. and the water pump wont fit. If i move the top mounts to the front of the block the oil pump housing will hit the motor mount. Does anyone have pictures of the driver side mounts.
20200531_182855.jpg

Just a guess, cause i've been using elephant ears on my 62 for a lotta years, but.... maybe the engine mount brackets are on the wrong sides of the motor, drivers side on the passenger side?

Mount looks same as mine. With clutch fan on my 62 I'm lucky to have 1/2" clearance to radiator.

Has this combo been together before? How close is radiator top tank to rad support panel. A stock rad it just about needs to be touching.

Mount looks same as mine. With clutch fan on my 62 I'm lucky to have 1/2" clearance to radiator.

Has this combo been together before? How close is radiator top tank to rad support panel. A stock rad it just about needs to be touching.

At first i could not figure out the problem. Now i believe it is put together correctly. The problem is I was trying to use an aftermarket electric fan that was supposed to fit, however i now realizeit is thicker than the original fan. Now i have a couple options. Go back with the new radiator but dont use the electric fan. My second option is alter the holes on the mount to slide the engine back another half inch then use the electric fan without the custom shroud, it came with attachments to do that. The third option would be to flip the electric fan to the front of the radiator. Im not sure what route im going to use yet.

At first i could not figure out the problem. Now i believe it is put together correctly. The problem is I was trying to use an aftermarket electric fan that was supposed to fit, however i now realizeit is thicker than the original fan. Now i have a couple options. Go back with the new radiator but dont use the electric fan. My second option is alter the holes on the mount to slide the engine back another half inch then use the electric fan without the custom shroud, it came with attachments to do that. The third option would be to flip the electric fan to the front of the radiator. Im not sure what route im going to use yet.

It certainly is squishy hey?! Moving engine back 1/2" would work assuming your tailshaft will allow that...

My stock set up all fits (just) so my only option was to scrape the **** out of my knuckles assembling it all.

I have 3 3/8" from the water pump pully flange to the radiator. Using a six blade with fan shroud. No overheating problems what so ever.

Lot of but would a later 66 K member would push engine back.

Thanks for the help. What i ended up doing is changing the rubber motor mounts with a later version. I used some out of a 76 ram charger. They one have one stud on each side and they are off set. I rotated them 90 degrees so the rubber is horizontal not vertical. That kicked the engine back enough
31JoIzMVOLL._AC_.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back