• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help cross-referencing bearing pt number.

Mike67

Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
So I tore my motor down and am trying to order new mains and can't seem to locate this number any where on the web..
Clever MB1883M/ 1884M. Does anyone have a cross reference?
Thanks
20210626_143651.jpg
20210626_143626.jpg

383 main size?? M-series bearing....with the micro babbit layer.

Included in Main set 481-M, according to Mahle book.

Last edited:
No sir its an RB the block is a 71.

I see it now.... dunno why the book i saw said 383....maybe RB 383?? because it did say 59-60, so thats the same in any RB I would guess. Those are obsolete as a set, but must be superceeded I would think.

Clevite Engine Parts MS481M Clevite M-Series Main Bearings | Summit Racing

There's a description. any reason why you need M-series bearings?? they are babbit lined half groove. I think they are also narrower, maybe for filleted cranks????

I see it now.... dunno why the book i saw said 383....maybe RB 383?? because it did say 59-60, so thats the same in any RB I would guess. Those are obsolete as a set, but must be superceeded I would think.

Clevite Engine Parts MS481M Clevite M-Series Main Bearings | Summit Racing

There's a description. any reason why you need M-series bearings?? they are babbit lined half groove. I think they are also narrower, maybe for filleted cranks????

Thanks, I bought the shortblock assembled. The crank must have been hell to balance judging by all of the metal removed and added, and it doesn't appear to have a radius.

Yes, those are babbitt bearings and the width is normal, 0.949"/1.224", set PN# is MS481M as stated. The Tri-Metal set is MS877P, but has been superseded to MS2324P. For Federal Mogul sets, 4095M is the full groove set, and 4924M is the partial groove set.

So I've read varying opinions on 1/2, 3/4 & full grooved bearings and could really extract an application for each...most was conjecture. Even the manufactures recommendations were pretty vague as to application. What is everyone running here?
From what I had found I was looking at running the 2324P, should I go ahead and get the 3/4 groove? Pump gas 550'ish hp street driven car.
Thanks

Std oil pump for 1/2 to 3/4 groove, and hi-vol pump for full groove

Auto Transport Service
Back