• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help- door lock bezels

pearljam724

Local time
6:17 AM
Reaction score
i want to replace my door bezels. I figured once the door panels were off. I could reach up in there and undo the fastening barbs ? But, that doesn’t seem to be the case. My panels are off now. I realize I can probably pry the old ones out. But, how can I get the new barbs to latch over the door frame ? Or do the new one simply push in and lock them selves ?

A206D27A-845B-4123-863D-4BC5DD9795F7.jpeg

Pry the old ones out with a nylon pry tool then spread the barbs a bit on the new ones before you work them in.
I don't understand why you can't reach the barbs from the inside. Are your arms overly fat?
If so, get a tool (Long screw driver, dowel, stick, whatever) and push the barbs up.

Barbs bend over the panel and not the door frame. Should be no problem with the panel off.

Gave it a whirl on the way out of the shop... 10 seconds tops! .. or were you talking about the stainless window slot trim..
beerestoration2019part2 113.JPG
beerestoration2019part2 116.JPG

Gave it a whirl on the way out of the shop... 10 seconds tops! .. or were you talking about the stainless window slot trim..View attachment 752272 View attachment 752274
I was talking about that piece you have pictured. Im good now. I was under the impression that the barbs curled up under the steel of the door. But, I was wrong. I see after prying it out, the barbs just go straight down. But, yeah. Im wondering about the glass trim removal that holds the cat whiskers too ? Actually I need to install an outer piece. Mine is missing. Do you just try to reach up inside the door and bend the barbs over once it’s in place ? Or does the window have to come out ?

Cat whiskers just pop off, you may need to lower the glass to make it easier. Just loosen the regulator down stop nut, turn your window crank and the glass will go below the felts to make them easier to pop out. Any other trim there I can't help with... neither of my cars have anything by the window gap and whiskers on each side of same.

Cat whiskers just pop off, you may need to lower the glass to make it easier. Just loosen the regulator down stop nut, turn your window crank and the glass will go below the felts to make them easier to pop out. Any other trim there I can't help with... neither of my cars have anything by the window gap and whiskers on each side of same.
Thank you, my friend. Which is the regulator stop nut ? Is it the nut that is attached to the vertical threaded rod ?

NO.. beside the crank handle, nut and bolt with a screw driver slot in it. Slot is for holding the cam position to adjust the stop location. Make note of the current position of the slot, loosen the nut and then crank the window down the bit more you need to pull the felts. Install felts, window up and reposition the slot and tighten the nut. Will take a bit of fiddling to get the window stopping where it should again, but easy to do.
beerestoration2019 2860.JPG
beerestoration2019 2850.JPG

Thank you, my friend. Yeah I see what you mean. It’s pretty easy to adjust the crank height now. I think you might be talking about sliding the felts out ? Im trying to figure out how to remove and reinstall the trim that holds the whiskers too. I want to paint my door interior and install a couple of those outside trim pieces when I’m done. Because the driver side is completely missing on the outside of window. And the passenger side is only missing the actual felt. I don’t want to destroy the interior ones wanting to paint. Because they are good. But, I want to remove for painting. Do I just pry on them ?

Not sure what you're trying to remove... the black interior door shell ( the part with the hole for the door lock knob) is part of the door, it's not coming off..

No, the stainless trim piece that holds the felt.

Is it not held on by.. or just part of the felts? My Plymouth has stainless edging attached to the cat whiskers...not that wide though.

Is it not held on by.. or just part of the felts? My Plymouth has stainless edging attached to the cat whiskers...not that wide though.
No, the trim has clips that slip inside the door frame door. The door has 1/4” slots the clips go inside. I have the door panel off and there’s no way of reaching up in there. Do I just pry the trim upward ?

The window felt stainless trim is attached to the window felt itself and is removed as one assembly. Depending upon the year model and body style dictates the window felt style. But they are basically all the same with variations in the attaching method.

For the style window felt that you have pictured, I have found that for me the easiest method of removing the felts is as follows:
1. Roll the door or quarter glass all the way up.
2. Remove the door panel which means removing the armrest pad and base and window crank handle.
3. You are now able to reach your hand up into the door cavity. Running your fingers along the back side of the window felt area, you will feel the tangs of the window felt. Use a flat bladed screw driver, slightly bend these tangs back. Once all of them have been bent back, roll the glass back down. You should have enough room to rock the felts out and away from the body. Lift the felt up and that is all that there is to it.
4. To install new felts, roll the door or quarter glass down and simply align the correct felt to the panel and in case of this year model and body style, simply push the fingers of the clips back into the slots which holds the felt to the body.

I have attached a picture of a felt, it is not the exact style of yours, but for the sake of knowing what your looking at, will give you an ideal of the clip style.

6870ChargerFelt1.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, for that explanation. Some of you guys must have very long arms. Cause I can barely reach the point. But, your tips help a ton. Thank you

Auto Transport Service
Back