• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help for young misguided military guy

tallhair

Rufus "Mod-hair" Firefly
Staff member
Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
He's got a 68 Comaro and is having wiring problems. Is there any site out there for 1st gen Camaro guys or even Chevy guys that is anywhere close to what we have here for tech and troubleshooting assistance?

I'd had to recommend a site that flames new members or has a bunch of grab *** going on. I recommended he google something like "wiring problem for 68 Camaro" and look for the forums and audit them to see what they are like but if you guys have a shortcut to a good site please post it

Just tired it and got

camaros.net
chevytalk.org

All recommendations appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Super Chevy Mag. forum use to have some good guys that really knew 67-69 Camaros there... Hot Rod Mag. or Car Craft Mag. Forums too pretty much Camaro & Mustang central... Maybe SpeedTalk forum... I'm not in the realm much lately, spend 90% of my time here on the best forum on the W-W-W

Well what he told me sounded a little sketchy and incomplete but I was at work and didn't have long to talk but what he did tell was he put a new starter in it and then it tried to start once then nothing. So he took the cables off the battery and got down there to see if it was hooked up right then pull the starter and check it out and it shocked him.

I questioned him about un-hooking the batter and he swears its completely disconnected. I asked him if anyone was cranking (thinking maybe it wasn't disconnected) and he said no. I asked him if it had a magneto and he said no LOL.

He said only a few wires are 'hot' and the PO had made some some "wiring adjustments" or work on it.

I told him to be prepared with some pictures and to describe the whole thing and what he had done

Well what he told me sounded a little sketchy and incomplete but I was at work and didn't have long to talk but what he did tell was he put a new starter in it and then it tried to start once then nothing. So he took the cables off the battery and got down there to see if it was hooked up right then pull the starter and check it out and it shocked him.

I questioned him about un-hooking the batter and he swears its completely disconnected. I asked him if anyone was cranking (thinking maybe it wasn't disconnected) and he said no. I asked him if it had a magneto and he said no LOL.

He said only a few wires are 'hot' and the PO had made some some "wiring adjustments" or work on it.

I told him to be prepared with some pictures and to describe the whole thing and what he had done

It's a pretty simple wiring. The pos cable goes to the starter and connects to the 3/8 post on the solenoid. On the same 3/8 post a wire comes from the firewall which powers the fusebox. The smaller wire connects to the solenoid. This wire comes from the switch it engages the starter. When someone monkeys with the wiring anything could be wrong. There is a lot of knowledge on this site.

It's a pretty simple wiring. The pos cable goes to the starter and connects to the 3/8 post on the solenoid. On the same 3/8 post a wire comes from the firewall which powers the fusebox. The smaller wire connects to the solenoid. This wire comes from the switch it engages the starter. When someone monkeys with the wiring anything could be wrong. There is a lot of knowledge on this site.

Well I totally agree with you there. I'll tell him to check this site and camaros.net

Please follow up with the guy. I would love to know how you get shocked by a disconnected battery.

strange stuff...

- - - Updated - - -

try telling him to Google search, 1967-69 Camaro wire diagrams or 1967-69 Camaro wiring schematics possibly, should get something on there, probably thousands of subjects... Is the guy trying to do a custom rewire/adding stuff ?? or removing former owners A-Typical wiring hack job ?? or just get it running ??

strange stuff...

- - - Updated - - -

try telling him to Google search, 1967-69 Camaro wire diagrams or 1967-69 Camaro wiring schematics possibly, should get something on there, probably thousands of subjects... Is the guy trying to do a custom rewire/adding stuff ?? or removing former owners A-Typical wiring hack job ?? or just get it running ??[/QUOTE]

Yes and Yes

- - - Updated - - -

Please follow up with the guy. I would love to know how you get shocked by a disconnected battery.

I did today and referred him to camaros.net and he reaffirmed he's got the battery disconnected :edgy:

- - - Updated - - -

NastyZ28.com

- - - Updated - - -

Or here as the harness is pretty much the same as a Nova

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/index.php

I didn't see the wiring harness there wannadrag. Is that a good and helpful site you posted up?

The best information on the early Camaro that I know of is www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml‎

Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry the link I posted didn't work so try this one

www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml

- - - Updated - - -

I also have complete wiring diagrams for the '67, '68, and '69 Camaro's.

The best information on the early Camaro that I know of is www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml‎

Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry the link I posted didn't work so try this one

www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml

- - - Updated - - -

I also have complete wiring diagrams for the '67, '68, and '69 Camaro's.

Thanks for the lnks. If you have the wiring diagrams electronically send me the 68 please trimmer. PM sent with my email address

Auto Transport Service
Back