• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help getting a trailer titled/registered

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:45 AM
Reaction score
So a friend of mine got an open trailer along with a track car. He only wanted the car the trailer was part of the package. He knows the seller. The certificate of origin is gone along with any old trailer registration. It’s all been lost. The last owner that used the trailer just tossed a plate on it.
NJ would not accept a notarized bill of sale as proof of ownership and I can’t provide an old registration or the original certificate of ownership. This would never have had a title as it weights less than 2500lbs gross.
Does anyone have a solution? Perhaps a different state that you reside in has a different set of criteria for a simple trailer? Also I can’t claim “homemade” as I would have to show all receipts of all components to build a trailer.
Dan

So a friend of mine got an open trailer along with a track car. He only wanted the car the trailer was part of the package. He knows the seller. The certificate of origin is gone along with any old trailer registration. It’s all been lost. The last owner that used the trailer just tossed a plate on it.
NJ would not accept a notarized bill of sale as proof of ownership and I can’t provide an old registration or the original certificate of ownership. This would never have had a title as it weights less than 2500lbs gross.
Does anyone have a solution? Perhaps a different state that you reside in has a different set of criteria for a simple trailer? Also I can’t claim “homemade” as I would have to show all receipts of all components to build a trailer.
Dan

737C0AEC-538F-4CE6-80BB-75F41C9FFFB0.jpeg

In FL you can tell them it's "home assembled".

Maybe find a kit on line that looks like it and show them.

...or describe the construction materials and process- 1.5" angle iron, 2.5' square tube, brand of axle, 1/4" diamond plate, etc.

Here in MD you can take something like that to MD state police inspection division and they will check it out, and if all is good assign a MD-state-generated VIN for it.

Really?? They are kind of *** holes too. Gee, just tell them to take your money FFS . They could not come up with any solutions?? I'd go to a different branch of the DMV and try again. But play dumb. Knowing what you know now. Someone with a different attitude may be able to fix you right up. Worth a try.
It's the same here. We have are registration warriors here too. The one's you want to stay away from. Friggen red tape!
Hell in PEI Canada, when I built my trailer, all I had to do was show them a picture of my hitch and a picture of the trailer. And I was good to go. No receipts. Good luck Dan.

Last edited:
Wonder if you contact the trailer company with the vin number from that tag and see if they could help with duplicate title?

Wonder if you contact the trailer company with the vin number from that tag and see if they could help with duplicate title?
Out of business after 50 plus years. Just last year.

Really?? They are kind of *** holes too. Gee, just tell them to take your money FFS . They could not come up with any solutions?? I'd go to a different branch of the DMV and try again. But play dumb. Knowing what you know now. Someone with a different attitude may be able to fix you right up. Worth a try.
It's the same here. We have are registration warriors here too. The one's you want to stay away from. Friggen red tape!
Hell in PEI Canada, when I built my trailer, all I had to do was show them a picture of my hitch and a picture of the trailer. And I was good to go. No receipts. Good luck Dan.
That was my feeling just collect the fees and sale tax and be happy

As I posted in the other thread about this - MD, if you take one of these to MD state police inspection station, will check it out and if it passes, they will issue you a MD-state-generated VIN and title (you'll need that bill of sale, as well).

Dan

View attachment 1443837
That trailer nameplate states 6000# so that’s what it should be registered for. If you registered it for 2500# got stopped while hauling a car on it they would fine you for being over weigh. You could see if you could get someone to file a Mechanic’s Lien for storage he might be able to get a title for it.

As I posted in the other thread about this - MD, if you take one of these to MD state police inspection station, will check it out and if it passes, they will issue you a MD-state-generated VIN and title (you'll need that bill of sale, as well).
Do I have to be a state resident?

That trailer nameplate states 6000# so that’s what it should be registered for. If you registered it for 2500# got stopped while hauling a car on it they would fine you for being over weigh. You could see if you could get someone to file a Mechanic’s Lien for storage he might be able to get a title for it.
The 2500 pound or less reference is the empty trailer weight limit in nj that would allow you to just register no title issued. Still would need an old registration or certificate of origin for trailer to do this.

Do I have to be a state resident?
Yes.

The 2500 pound or less reference is the empty trailer weight limit in nj that would allow you to just register no title issued. Still would need an old registration or certificate of origin for trailer to do this.
I'd read into that more. I highly doubt ANY state (even Joisey) would rate trailer weights based on empty weight.

Like said before by another person ^^^
in the same named thread (another)

Maybe
take it to 'a state police' (or like our CHP)
I did it with a "Toy Box" travel trailer, that had been repaired "salvaged",
after a minor ($5,000+ repair) wreck, it was no longer in the system
they did require a bill of sale/a weight certificate too

a Ca. Hwy Patrol officer came out & looked it over
made sure the lights worked & it wasn't a rustbucket
suspension/axles was good, tires were good
he did a background check, have no liens & not stolen etc.
issued me a piece of paper, so I could go to the DMV
I went to the Calif. DMV & got a temporary "salvage" title
'actually' I went to My AAA insurance branch/DMV office & got it registered
or
I don't know Jersey laws
maybe some DOT/DMV office outfit, someone can come out & check it out
issue you a temp. reg.,
do background search see if it had any liens or if it stolen

maybe even get a savage title

if you can do it in Ca. land of eco-Nazis/govt. bureaucracy red-tape
probably be able to do it in NJ

Last edited:
Yes.

I'd read into that more. I highly doubt ANY state (even Joisey) would rate trailer weights based on empty weight.
The registration would indeed read 6000 gvw. But if the state issues a title or if registration is sufficient is based on the empty weight of the trailer. Any trailer that weights under 2500 lbs will not be issued a title. That came from the horses mouth at dmv this morning.

Check with Maine. Lots of truckers and others across the country register there. No inspection and reasonable prices. Go on their dmv site and search there.

Back up fellas, Sorry, I merged duplicate posts that were reported and removed the thread from the forum.

It should not be a big issue since it still has the vin numbers on it... They can check to make sure that it was not stolen but things are crazy these days...

In Georgia the county tag office gives you a form to fill out and the police in the county where you live (in Georgia) would just come out to look at the trailer and sign your paperwork. You then go back to the tag office and they give you a S/N tag that you attach to the trailer and the police return to see you have the S/N tag attached and sign your form again and you get registration and tags for like $25 I think. You don't get a title, all you get is registration for the tags.

Auto Transport Service
Back