• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help HVAC system freezing up

1967coronet440

Local time
6:51 PM
Reaction score
Earlier this year I installed a brand new condenser and N coil in my house. Ran perfect it was 100 outside and my house would get down to 70 degrees no problem. Had it off for the last week since the temps dropped now we’re back into the mid 80’s so I turned it back on and i noticed it was stuck at about 75-76 degrees so I started looking around, went into the utility room and noticed the lines were sweating like crazy, outside the valve was a big block of ice, just pulled the cap off the furnace and the coil is frozen? What can I do to troubleshoot this? Filter is pretty new but I’ll get another one.

Thanks in advance

Bo

Most cases one of two causes, well maybe three. Air across coil restricted,evaporator has leak, or faulty txv. Had same problem few years back was the evaporator leaking. Need tools. Gauges to check charge, freon detector and some use dye. What brand equipment?

Few years back the industry had alot of failure of indoor coils, the epa in its wisdom to achieve higher seer ratings forces manufacturers to use for one riffled copper tubes in the coils. Theory is the refrigerant is closer to the air flowing across it so it cools more effectively. Down side is durability, they get what is called formosian corrosion small channels of corrosion develop in the copper tubes, causing leaks. This problem was so significant that some manufacturers began tin plating copper tube in areas of vulnerability. Now alot if not most offer aluminum coils. More expensive doesn't absorb heat as well as copper but not as susceptible to this type of corrosion. I know this doesn't help you know but if you get service guy out forewarned is forearmed.

Is there anything i can do before calling the service guy out? Or is that my guy not option. Damn thing is only 4 months old. And it worked perfectly a week ago

Is there anything i can do before calling the service guy out? Or is that my guy not option. Damn thing is only 4 months old. And it worked perfectly a week ago
If it's only four months old, I would put the problem in the manufacturer or installer's hands.

Yes and yes. I was workin hvac at the time and my boss helped me. Basically All I did was sweat the lines in he charged it and everything else

The coil is completely frozen right now, I just laid some towels in there to try and keep things somewhat dry while it melts

Yeah man problem is without paperwork from installer to the manufacturer, the warranty is void. To many fly by night installation jobs submitted under warranty industry said thats it.

Yes it is draining, but some was spilling out so i threw a couple towels as a precaution.

https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/ here is a forum that sometimes guys will answer your questions, but watch how you ask it if they know your not professional they will just tell you sorry on your own. See if there is something currently going on with that equipment.cant hurt.

Sorry about your troubles man, mine went out around this time four years ago. Wife and daughter went to hotel for weekend for her 16th birthday. I couldn't take it went to home depot got portable ac unit to take the edge off. Heat doesn't bother me generally but when you try to sleep and you sweet your *** off. Let me know what you find out good luck.

Auto Transport Service
Back