• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help HVAC system freezing up

What type of solder and how low of a vacuum? Did you check it with a micron gauge?

3 reasons for it freezing up, low refrigerant, over charged or low/no air flow.
Is your a expansion valve or cap tube? Sometimes the orifice in the cap tube get trash usually won't cause it to freeze up . If its a TXV make sure it ( bulb) has good contact on the suction line.

Open everything, WFO (if you old enough to remember that) and run the crappy Flanders filter. Let us know how it works out.

Have everything opened, .96 cent Flanders filter in brand new. No more water out of the drain but I’m going to let it run a while longer

Started it up about an hour and a half ago, not freezing but the temp doesn’t seem to be dropping in the house. It’s at 78 right now and hasn’t really moved since I started it

Whats the outlet air like coming out of the ducts?? 15-20 degrees colder than the air in the house?? How about the refrigerant lines? Small one warm but not hot? Big one should be sweating just before where it goes in the outside unit, but no frost or icing. Everything running inside and out?

Whats the outlet air like coming out of the ducts?? 15-20 degrees colder than the air in the house?? How about the refrigerant lines? Small one warm but not hot? Big one should be sweating just before where it goes in the outside unit, but no frost or icing. Everything running inside and out?
Don’t have the gun to measure the air coming out but it feels cool. Small line does not feel warm at all, big line not sweating

I think you are low on gas, since you've eliminated the other variables. Try listening very closely to the small line right where it enters the evaporator inside. You may have to actually press your ear against it (or use a short solid wood rod) You should hear a smooth distinct flowing sound. Any whooshing, or pulsing, or a sound like bubbles and youre low on gas for sure. HTH, Lefty71

Last edited:
You know what now that you mention it when I first got it running I could hear the flow like you described from just standing By it, now it’s not so distinct and I have to get real close.

No if its not sweating you are probably low. Back it the day we used ti charge by sweat back. Add refrigerant until you start seeing the suction line sweating...its close and will get you cooling...

No if its not sweating you are probably low. Back it the day we used ti charge by sweat back. Add refrigerant until you start seeing the suction line sweating...its close and will get you cooling...
Can’t get ahold of any of my HVAC guys, go figure

Ok guys, found 2 leaks in my copper outside. 100% my fault since I did the soldering. Anyway here I am now, can I turn the unit off and go ahead and re solder them or do I need to do something else before soldering them.

Never did catch the details... Isnt this a new outside unit, meaning using R410A??? If so, it runs at a high pressure and all joints must be brazed, never soldered. Also, you do know YOU MUST PULL THE SYSTEM DOWN AND OPEN THE LINES TO ATMOSPHERE before any attempt at a repair right?? Just making sure you stay safe. HTH, Lefty71

Never did catch the details... Isnt this a new outside unit, meaning using R410A??? If so, it runs at a high pressure and all joints must be brazed, never soldered. Also, you do know YOU MUST PULL THE SYSTEM DOWN AND OPEN THE LINES TO ATHMOSPHERE before any attempt at a repair right?? Just making sure you stay safe. HTH, Lefty71
Yes brazed that’s what I meant. And no I did not know that that’s why I’m consulting with you guys. Looks like I’m gonna have to buy my friend a case of beer and have him come do it for me. Thanks for all your help guys I appreciate it.

If there is still refrigerant left and your condensor has service valves you can pump it down into the condensor by closing the hi side port. It will pump down close to a vacuum if rhe leaks are small then close the suction. It will hold what refrigerant you have until you repair. Then you will need to pull a vacuum on your lines

I have the same brand as you. I got a 10 year all equipment warranty from the factory. One year labor from installer. It sounds like you have it figured out. Good luck.

Last edited:
Update: found the leak, pumped everything down to the compressor, went over my joints added 2lbs of Freon and I’m back up and running. Thanks for the help guys.

Auto Transport Service
Back