• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help identifying Carter AFB Carb's

69 "GTX"

Local time
2:59 PM
Reaction score
I purchased a pair of a AFB carb's from a guy about twenty five years ago, I am thinking of rebuilding them and resting them on top of a cast iron 1961 dual 4bbl manifold from a 413 C.I. motor. This setup I plan to install on my 69 440 GTX. I need some help Identifying these carb's so I know the cfm and to purchase rebuild kits. The stamped #'s on the flanges are : 42958 and 43058. Does the last two digits have anything to do with the year?
Hopefully this combination of intake and carb's will mate up with the AirGrabber hood, the challenge will be locating a 2-4bbl Air cleaner with the correct carb spacing. Any info would be helpful.

Check and make sure the 8 is not an S. I have never seen carbs with that many numbers. If it is an S 4295S 1967 273 auto valiant barracuda dart 4305S will be the same but with the clean air package(cap)

If the setup you're planning on using is a "long ram" setup, it won't fit on a B body

Runner
I am not familiar with the term "long ram", the intake casting # is 2264877-1. As far as I know it should fit all RB engines, 413, 426 wedge and 440. Let me know if I'm missing something. I would sure like to make this work being I already have the parts.
Also I double checked the carburator #'s and I stand corrected, the #'s are 4295S and 4305S. Thanks for that bit of info gtx69. So it appears that I have one carb with the "clean air package" and one without, what is the difference and will this work for a dual quad setup?

I know the intake you plan to use. Divided plenum single plane. Should work well but don't over cam it. Those little 273 carbs should be in the neighborhood of 500 CFM, if they have the smaller throttle bore size I think they have. I have the original 383 setup with correct carbs (3258S / 3259S) that I will throw on something some day and those are pretty small.

This might help you figure out the CFM http://buickperformance.com/carter.htm

These guys also have good quality kits. I bought several from them http://www.carburetor.ca/

The motor does have a healthy cam @ .545 lift, I don't recall the duration off hand. The carb's have a 1 7/16" bore primary and 1 9/16" secondary. might be just a tad small. I will check your suggested web site to help figure what cfm I need. Thanks Meep-Meep

The "long ram" intake is the wild lookin thing that sets the carbs (basically) outside the valve covers. Makes stupid torque, but won't fit on a B without hacking the shock towers. Unfortunately I don't have my books handy so I can't look anything up

Thanks Runner for the "long ram" info, sounds like a big project to make one of those work! I will just stick with the "Low Rider" inline Dual Quad arrangement. Does anyone know where I can locate a dual quad air cleaner or at least the base with the right carb centerline spacing that will mate up to my air grabber induction system? Did the 69 Road Runner offer a stock 2-4bbl setup that I could use that style of air cleaner?

They did for the Hemi. You would need to check the spacing and diameter of the carb tops

The HEMI carb spacing is not the same as this old wedge inline setup, so plan on making a custom base for the air grabber top. The original air cleaners are kind of oval shaped and hard to find but I think someone is reproducing them. Also, the intake is set up for the narrow AFB pattern and you will need some 1/4" spacers to go under the carbs so the accel pump link on the throttle shaft on the front carb doesn't hit the runner. The original spacers are Bakelite or some kind of resin. The original progressive linkage is also hard to find but you can make something work.

That's a pretty big cam you're running. My guess is a Torker and big Holley will run circles around it but it won't look as cool!

By the way, this old inline setup is what was on Christine. You may want to think twice about using it!!

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&um=1

Thanks Meep-Meep for all your input, I am currently running a Performer intake and big Holley and it does run well. Hood clearance is the problem with that setup so I figured I would use the vintage "low" Dual Quad manifold and give it a little "Cool Factor" at the same time. Hopefully by doing this I won't loose to much performance I don,t plan on racing it anyway.
As far as building a custom air cleaner base I might try sacrificing two single 4-bbl bases
to achieve a dual.
"Christine" was an awesome car! Just a little evil!

Carter AVS 4295S

Just stumbled across your email about carb identification. If the carb you have is a Carter 4295 S and you would like to sell it, I am interested in purchasing it. It is for a 273 HiPo motor with an automatic from 1964-1967 that belongs in an A-Body. I am searching for one for my resto of my 1967 Barracuda Formula S. If you get this and want to sell it call me at 772-834-6999 EST I am in Florida. It would be a big step in resurrecting a nice car. Thanx Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back