• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help identifying holes in 68 coronet firewall

Robking

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:56 PM
Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm getting ready to mount electronic ignition and voltage regulator to my firewall, and have a few holes I can't identify from pics I've found online (I basically bought a box of parts so no idea what came from where). I don't want to cover something important and regret it down the road.

firewall_holes.jpg

Here's what I think I've identified so far. My big concern are D, E and F.

A - ballast resistor
B - mechanical voltage regulator (hope to use lower hole as part of mounting new VR)
C - ground strap
D - ???
E - ???
F - ???
G - ???

Much thanks!
Robbie

F - starter relay ??
G - looks like another insulation push plug

C heater box?
Jim is spot on with the insulation pin (I looked out in the garage this AM and sure enough
I had the insulation piece buried, I REALLY need to take inventory).

Stanton, I think you're right on G being another insulation pin. The starter relay on mine
is over on the other side of the wiper motor I'm pretty sure, so I don't think that's what F is.

This is a picture I downloaded from somewhere on the internets (wish I could give credit, its a
clean engine bay) that made me think C is the ground strap as opposed to something with the
heater box. My heater box only has three bolts on standoffs, and those I can account for on the fireweall.

As you can see from the picture below, on this car it doesn't even look like E and F exist. My car wasn't
factory air or anything, so not really sure WHAT they are. I've yet to find a picture that shows something
there to be honest.

Thanks guys for your help on this, keep em coming!

engine_bay_2.jpg

Heater box holes are larger than screw holes - probably to make factory installation faster. C is definitely NOT a heater hole.

Auto Transport Service
Back