• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help installing console in 69 Coronet

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
8:52 AM
Reaction score
Can the center line of the console be adjusted left or right? With the 4 screws loose that mount it to the floor pan brackets it won't budge.

The previous owner installed all new floor pans and console mounting brackets.

The holes in the middle are not slotted.
The console should be / should have been aligned before welding the brackets in.

modify the brackets to fit.... get a little creative
The new carpet is already installed. So, that won't be happening. I just measured it and it's exactly 1 inch to the driver's side in the back. Funny thing, though, it fits the hump perfectly somehow.

One inch over and you’re going to have issues with the seat hitting it.

Make a plate to go on top of floor bracket to shift it to passengers side.

Last edited:
How well are the brackets welded in?
Can you grind off the welds and adjust everything?

The way I did mine, was
bolt all 3 brackets to the console
line it up with the seats
tack a small weld to each of the brackets, center one first
remove the console and weld all 3 brackets securely.

IMG_20190928_151513976.jpg
IMG_20190929_111248351.jpg
IMG_20190929_111339612.jpg
IMG_20190929_111444613.jpg
IMG_20190929_111502452.jpg
IMG_20190929_111541444.jpg

FYI, the 1 inch line is centered on the hump.

Last edited:
How well are the brackets welded in?
Can you grind off the welds and adjust everything?

The way I did mine, was
bolt all 3 brackets to the console
line it up with the seats
tack a small weld to each of the brackets, center one first
remove the console and weld all 3 brackets securely.
Welds look good. That would be the last resort because I don't own a welder nor do I know how to weld.

The drive line hump isn't in the center of the cab, at least on my '63 Plymouth, so engineers must have designed factory consoles to accommodate I'd certainly think. The OEM console for mine was only the length between the seats with a glove box, curtesy lights, and two ashtrays and I ended up selling it for interest in installing one having with more features not holding to keeping it stock. I had a lot of fun (somewhat sarcastically) installing a console from another car in my '63 that would provide some function for extra gauges, cup holders, and this one also had a light indicator bar I connected for brakes, turn signals, and headlights. Since the tunnel is offset, I fabricated hold down brackets to center; but later found it just didn't sit quite right so gave up making new brackets to accept a slight offset resting center on the hump. Since your console is for the car should be a non-issue.

Ply Console L.jpg Ply Console Bld Level.jpg Ply Console Bld wiring.jpg

Here's the part number on the bottom side. It looks correct for a 69 B body.

I trimmed the carpet around the back metal piece but it didn't help. The metal piece is keeping me from moving the rear of the console over at all.

So, I am stuck with it unless I take that piece off and trim it. So, I think I'll live with it for now. I've owned the car since 2012 and probably driven it less than 10 times. Most of that was to have someone work on it (pain, headliner, etc.)

IMG_20190929_123718787.jpg

If you remove console and if bracket is only welded on the legs bang driver's side leg toward passenger's side. Might gain 1/2".

Your console is in the correct position. Attached are pictures of a floor section I pulled from a 69 sport satellite. I marked a line down the center, and then another line at the center of the rear bracket. It is off by 1 inch. If you attempt to move it, you will run into interference with the passenger seat.

IMG_0511.jpg IMG_0513.jpg photo 1.JPG

Another point of reference is to look at the seat bracket holes in the first picture above. The drivers side is at least 1 inch farther from the centerline than the passenger side. It's all because Ma Mopar set the drivetrain off to the passenger side.

Your console is in the correct position. Attached are pictures of a floor section I pulled from a 69 sport satellite. I marked a line down the center, and then another line at the center of the rear bracket. It is off by 1 inch. If you attempt to move it, you will run into interference with the passenger seat.

View attachment 842464 View attachment 842465 View attachment 842466
Before you posted that I had already mounted the console in again for the last time, whether it was centered or not.

All that worry about nothing. I'm glad I didn't try the BFH on the brackets.

I appreciate you posting the photos.

Good deal....I was hoping you looked at the thread again before trying to make adjustments.

Glad I could give you reassurance the brackets were right.....something like that would have bugged the crap out of me if I thought it was wrong....I just can't leave things like that go.

Auto Transport Service
Back