• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help Installing Hood Scoop Engine Callouts

My other consideration is should I place tape over the painted surface and drill outside in or the other way around?

Yep. Either way tape to avoid chipout. Put painted side down aganst a sacrificial surface like thick leather or soft wood.

The hole at 5 1/2" is not used.

Those white sleeves come out pretty easy. I used them for the "Chrysler" letters on my Newport. And Ill tell ya what, they hold the letters pretty damn tight. They "snapped" into place when I installed them. Although it was a factory hole they were going into.

old ones

DSC07864.JPG

new ones

DSC08847.JPG

holes

DSC08108.JPG

finished result

DSC08137.JPG

I would rather use speed nuts....The thought of popping those on gives me chills....

On my 440 callouts, which were new, the speednuts were tight as hell and I broke a callout because of the torque. Bad sized something but the nuts came with them. but these callouts are thin in spots. The press in plastic looks better to install.

the problem with using those little white fasteners is they give you zero "wiggle room"......probably fine for existing factory holes, but drilling perfectly placed holes is almost impossible, not only affecting alignment, but putting sideways stress on the pins

I called Jegs and Mopar Performance and they had no installation instructions and both said the white plastic on the studs "probably" comes off and the emblems are installed like the original ones from the factory with speed nuts. The MP guy said the only thing in his data base said these were manufactured to the original specifications using the same materials as the factory emblems.

I may have to heat these a bit in order to slide the plastic off the studs.
Oh my goodness. The plastic is what holds the emblems on! You drill the hole, slide the plastic through, and then push the flared area in and that locks the emblem in place. You take that off and you may need to thread those posts.

Keep in mind the guys at the factory just eyeballed these into place, so you'll find when looking across multiple cars there is no definitive location for the emblems.

I would suggest locating the emblems where you think they should go, press hard on them so the posts leave marks, and start drilling holes. Start with a bit a little smaller than the plastic and go up in size until the plastic slides in and you have to push to get the flared area in.

Well, all was going well until I tried to screw on the speed nuts and could not get the threads started. I pressed super hard with a nut driver and not even a scratch. So, plan B; I used the plastic nuts. I had to drill the holes a bit larger but they worked. The emblems fit tighter than Dick's hat band.

With my confidence built up I began to tackle the other side when total failure happened. The emblem broke right at the thinnest part.

IMG_0003.JPG

Man, was I bummed. I was going to use super glue and see how it looked but thought I would give Jegs a call first to see if they would exchange one more time. My sorrow turned to joy when they agreed to the exchange and sent me a shipping label for the return.

I dodged a bullet on that one. Thanks to PP1RT and MarPar for the tips. I followed Stacey David's tip and drilled through painter's tape from the outside with great results.

See for yourself.

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG

I have the same small DIY project where I want to switch from a 383 to 440 emblem on the hood scoops on my '69 RR. My issue is that I do not know how to remove the 383 set. How can I gain correct access to the backside of the scoops? The Air Grabber mechanism has me perplexed. Here is a photo of a hood similar to mine...

upload_2021-6-1_15-29-59.png

Auto Transport Service
Back