• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help on body work. So much bog..

aussiewannabee69

Local time
5:14 PM
Reaction score
Gday b body peoples.
I noticed on my left fender the lower style line was kinda flat. So I thought there must have been a small dodgy repair previously done. What I found was multiple repairs over repairs.a few layers of paint and bog covering a few dents. I have attached pics of what has happened. Since this is my first attempt at body work I would like to know the best way to attack it. The main one is at the lower style line. It looks as if something has ran into the side. Is it better to cut it out or panel beat it into shape?
Might be hard to see in the first pic how its damaged.

Screenshot_20180717-055102_Gallery.jpg IMG_20180714_080216_485.jpg IMG_20180714_080216_486.jpg

Dig all the filler out and see what you've got.

Try to metal work it out, use filler to get it straight. If you can't get it to your liking before filler then weld in a patch.

Hard to tell in pics what you've got there.

Dig all the filler out and see what you've got.

Try to metal work it out, use filler to get it straight. If you can't get it to your liking before filler then weld in a patch.

Hard to tell in pics what you've got there.

Yeah I've flown back out to work now so hard to get more pics. I've drawn in 2 red lines on 1 pic. In between the lines the dent is pretty much a triangle shape that has been pushed in the length of the red lines.

20180717_114113.jpg

Looks pretty gnarled. Not sure what tools you have access to but hammer and dollies will get you started but you may need a stud gun if it's over the fender brace.

Cut and replace maybe the only option if it's stretched out.

Agree with above post. Get the mud off it and see what is there , you should be able to tell how much it has been worked. Also how thin it is, if its been hammered & dollied a lot on that low piece watch for cracking. they upper dents look like they could come a lot closer with some work.
That bottom line just looking at the picture looks as if it could crack with to much working, hard to tell not seeing it in person.
Todays fillers have came along way, Typical in these old cars to find way more filler than was needed.

I hate people who think that they can do bodywork always putty and more putty get all out and rework yout metal a good body hammer and dolly im surprised someone didn't drill a ton of holes and use a slide hammer just be patient do you no of anyone who is a good meta man to help if you think it is too much for you :popcorn:

Last edited:
any of your friends have one of these
p31123.jpg
do not weld them on to much just use a light weld enough that you can lightly pull the pin and then just twist the pin off some people really weld them on and pull hard on the pin and tear a hole in the panel I like using this a lot more when pulling pins
s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
hammer and dolly you should be good i will help you if you need just buy me a round trip ticket :thumbsup: have fun :rofl:

Looks pretty gnarled. Not sure what tools you have access to but hammer and dollies will get you started but you may need a stud gun if it's over the fender brace

Cut and replace maybe the only option if it's stretched out.
I have recently bought a 7pc hammer and dolly kit but not used it. I will look into the stud gun. Thanks

Agree with above post. Get the mud off it and see what is there , you should be able to tell how much it has been worked. Also how thin it is, if its been hammered & dollied a lot on that low piece watch for cracking. they upper dents look like they could come a lot closer with some work.
That bottom line just looking at the picture looks as if it could crack with to much working, hard to tell not seeing it in person.
Todays fillers have came along way, Typical in these old cars to find way more filler than was needed.

Yes it does seem someone has gone way overboard with the filler. I will have to wire brush the remaining filler out of the dents. Is it better to pull the fender off or leave it on?

I hate people who think that they can do bodywork always putty and more putty get all out and rework yout metal a good body hammer and dolly im surprised someone didn't drill a ton of holes and use a slide hammer just be patient do you no of anyone who is a good meta man to help if you think it is too much for you :popcorn:
Unfortunately I don't know anyone that does. You tube and you guys are where I learn from. But I do learn a lot from here and you guys

Yes it does seem someone has gone way overboard with the filler. I will have to wire brush the remaining filler out of the dents. Is it better to pull the fender off or leave it on?
I would leave it on for support if you end up using a stud gun style puller, Hammer and dolly work would be more access if its off, but can be done for sure on the car with the wheel out of the way and front splash shield removed, headlamp ect.
A lot of the upper damage would come out fine with a long body pick/bar.
A heel dolly and a good body hammer will go a long way on that fender.

Some 36 grit on the DA sander will remove that filler pretty fast.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone that does. You tube and you guys are where I learn from. But I do learn a lot from here and you guys
watch out for you tube people there are a ton of hacks on there

there is a few very good metal men on this site one is eldubb440 he will most likely see this thread a chime in he will help you out I cant stress enough take your time be patient if you have any problem send me a pm

I will post up alot of photos of different hammers spoons and dollies
s-l1600.jpg
these are just some spoons

I will post up alot of photos of different hammers spoons and dollies View attachment 626843these are just some spoons
see i dont even know what all of these tools are used for. im pretty sure theres some kind of magic that goes along with these things.

does anyone know of a good book or site where i can learn the skills the correct way?

google is your best friend

So I've managed to get most of the crease out except for the section over the fender brace. The bodyline has come back a little bit but it has a curve in it and it's not as sharp as it should be. Question is how do I straighten the curve and make it sharper?

20180802_163720.jpg 20180802_171640.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back