• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help to locate my Engine ID number Chrysler 1964 361

SOB59

Local time
4:42 PM
Reaction score
Could anyone send me some photos of where I can find my Engine ID Nº on my 1964 361 motor. I was told to look on the machined pad on passengers side just above the sump cover. Unfortunately I have no machined pad there with numbers !!!! I have found the casting Nº's & other Nº's stampings next to the distributor......
I think this engine ID number I'm chasing, matches the vehicles VIN Nº.... To register a car in Australia we need this ID number.... Any photos of the position would be greatly appreciated.................

I don't think Chrysler put the VIN numbers on engines until 1968. The machine pad below the distributor will designate the engine cubic inch size and the manufactured year. I believe that a 361 made in 1964 should have the designation "V 36".

That is interesting Big Bad Dad..........That explains why I couldn't find it!!! Can anyone confirm for sure that there is no engine ID Nº on a '64 361????

Thanks in advance for any help....

1681643836579.png

Maybe not your year but I have found them on the bottom on the oil pan gasket area.

Is that supposed to be a 361 block from 1964?? Looks like it might be a 440 block from 1972??
Yes, that is a 440 block cast in November of 1972 for a 1973 model year car.

With no ID stamp on the pad, possibly a Warranty block ?

Sorry guys I was just using that photo to show the ID plate I was asked to look for... I couldn't find a photo of a 361....
You won’t find the vin on a pre-68 block, they just didn’t do that until 68, and even then it was hit and miss. That is a 69 and later deal

Thanks guys for the quick reply's. This helps me out greatly. Got to luv this Forum site. Sorry for my poor lack of knowledge on these motors. This is my first Chrysler car... So much to learn....

Isn't there some markings just in front of passengers side head. No vin but assembly date etc.

As noted above there are engine numbers, but they are not the cars VIN. They will probably want those. They are located as above, on the engine deck surface.

You won’t find the vin on a pre-68 block, they just didn’t do that until 68, and even then it was hit and miss. That is a 69 and later deal
cosgig is correct. Please stop spreading misinformation about vin numbers being stamped on blocks prior to 1968.

Pretty sure there were no serial #s on any American car engines before 68 so, I don't know how they don't know that.

All good guys, the car is now registered and took it for its first drive. So happy to finally get to drive it... Thanks for all your comments & help......

Shane..

Auto Transport Service
Back