• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help w/ 68 charger new rear drum brake install

Crunkscharger

Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, a brief back story, last summer I started an over haul on my brake system on my 68 charger. I installed a new bendix booster & bendix master cylinder from classic industries & all new s. s. Lines from inline tube.
OK this summer I'm replacing both rear brakes. I bought new drum rotors from classic, a new brake kit 66-70 from a ebay mopar seller & new parking brake cables from inline. I printed out pages from my 68 manual plus install papers from the parts I bought but it's just not enough. Plus I've watched many YouTube videos but it's hard to find vehicle specific.

I need help from anyone of you that can tell me if I've got this right so far. I've never done a brake job on anything & there's a couple things I'm confused on.
The round pins if that's what you call them, that go inside the brake shoes were pre-installed. I didn't know if I was supposed to move them to another hole. But I'm having problems with 2 springs.

The green spring at the bottom doesn't seem right because everything else I've looked at shows the spring attached straight across from 1 hole to the next where as mine is slanted.
I tried it a different way but it pulled it too tight. The other spring I'm having trouble with is the little spring that attaches to the parking brake lever. I can get the hooked side around the lever but don't know where the other flat ended side hooks up to. It's awkward.

If anyone could download my photo & draw on it to show & help me, I would very much appreciate it!!

IMG_20220613_175812.jpg

IMG_20220613_175652.jpg

IMG_20220613_180111.jpg

Something not right, cable should be tight. 2nd pic is close.

View attachment 1298530
I wonder if I got smaller springs than I should have. I tried hooking it up just like this picture but It brought it all way too tight. I knew that couldn't be it, I sure did t want to break a spring. And the lever spring, does it hook on to the adjuster levee pivot behind the lever? I'd have to bend it to slip it on the lever if I did.

16551666894498885257806897758344.jpg

The green spring I got looks different than what's in the photo of the listing I bought it from. The seller is away for another week. On my green spring, one end is long & the other end has a very short hook. Then again others online look like the ones I got, so idk.

The green spring I got looks different than what's in the photo of the listing I bought it from. The seller is away for another week. On my green spring, one end is long & the other end has a very short hook. Then again others online look like the ones I got, so idk.
I just moved it over to another hole & now I can't get the adjuster on its so tight.

IMG_20220613_201426.jpg

the adjuster needs/easier to be mounted before you mount shoes to back plate. Green spring is right last photo. The small black spring goes on stud and put on adjusting lever, and hooks lever.In picture look at red spring on lever, yours is black.

rbrk.JPG

the adjuster needs/easier to be mounted before you mount shoes to back plate. Green spring is right last photo. The small black spring goes on stud and put on adjusting lever, and hooks lever.In picture look at red spring on lever, yours is black.

View attachment 1298548
Well, to get the spring over to the next hole over on the right side of it, I took the adjuster off, thinking I could squeeze the adjuster back in. So, are saying take off the silver round pin tabs on each side & place the adjuster in there? Your not saying the top 2 springs right?
And yes, I finally figured out the small black lever spring.

The long green spring goes into small not big hole. Black spring in post 3 is right, lever go there. Black hooks on that to hold lever to adjuster. Look at pictures posted, should be able to gether done.:thumbsup:

Noticed there are different kits for year and drum size.

Here is 1973 11" setup, Spring is different than video and previous pics shown.

Brakes3.jpg

The long green spring goes into small not big hole. Black spring in post 3 is right, lever go there. Black hooks on that to hold lever to adjuster. Look at pictures posted, should be able to gether done.:thumbsup:
Well in its current state that's not happening. All I know to do is take it apart & start over. I just can't get the spring to stretch that far & be right. I thank you for your advice.

View attachment 1298564

Yep that's confusing when scouring the internet. Mine is 11 inch but I don't know if it came with 10 or 11 from factory. Don't know if that matters. But I do have photos of what was on it before I started.

View attachment 1298564

Yep. I do have photos of what it had before I added new parts.It was missing parking brake parts & cable was broke.

IMG_20220512_194313.jpg

View attachment 1298564

Yep that's confusing when scouring the internet. Mine is 11 inch but I don't know if it came with 10 or 11 from factory. Don't know if that matters. But I do have photos of what was on it before I started.

View attachment 1298564

Actually here is the description for the listing for the kit I bought.
For 11 X 2.5" Mopar Rear Drums, 1965-89
Master Pro-Kit for rebuilding / restoring rear drum brakes. All springs, adjusters, guides, levers, C-clips, etc., PLUS the usually-omitted park brake strut anti-rattle springs and the stainless steel park brake lever wave-washers, exactly as shown -- and not in other kits! This is the improved 1969-80 style self-adjust setup, which is a huge upgrade for pre-'69 Mopars - won't over-adjust! For all B, and E-bodies with 11 X 2½" rear brakes. (Need 10"? Front drum kit? Or the oddball 10 X 1.75" for '72-down A-bodies?

As far as I know 68 did not have self adjusters. Thats why your picture shows none of the hardware

Last edited:
Easiest way is to take the front shoe off. Install the adjuster screw and green spring. Swing the shoe into position and install the hold down spring. Then install the top spring.

Easiest way is to take the front shoe off. Install the adjuster screw and green spring. Swing the shoe into position and install the hold down spring. Then install the top spring.
I had the right idea the other day but maybe I didn't do it exactly like what you said, close.I was doing it by myself & couldn't fit the adjuster in while pulling the bottom spring. And It pulled way too tight. The only thing is trying to do this in this blistering heat wave outside. I should've pulled the backing plates off & brought them inside before I started the job. Don't know if I should still try to do that are too much trouble since I've got it this far. Thanks!

Last edited:
Like the way pnora said to mount one shoe then do second shoe with adjuster and spring. Never tried it like that. The length of your green shoe to shoe is quite a stretch. Pun intended .
Sucks working in heat and humidity and especially when things aren't going well.

Like the way pnora said to mount one shoe then do second shoe with adjuster and spring. Never tried it like that. The length of your green shoe to shoe is quite a stretch. Pun intended .
Sucks working in heat and humidity and especially when things aren't going well.
I'll do that. Yeah that bottom green spring is smaller than the top springs. And one side of it just has a small hook. At first I thought it was broke because the guy I bought it from, he showed a different spring that what I got. But then I looked elsewhere & compared to mine & apparently what I have is correct.
I'll try again & I'll update. I Thank yall!
In Alabama it feels like 101 right now. It felt like 107 yesterday. Haha, it's not gonna get any better either. Maybe this evening, I'll try again.

I'll do that. Yeah that bottom green spring is smaller than the top springs. And one side of it just has a small hook. At first I thought it was broke because the guy I bought it from, he showed a different spring that what I got. But then I looked elsewhere & compared to mine & apparently what I have is correct.
I'll try again & I'll update. I Thank yall!
In Alabama it feels like 101 right now. It felt like 107 yesterday. Haha, it's not gonna get any better either. Maybe this evening, I'll try again.
When you attach the green spring and then slip the adjuster screw in place you can now use the shoe as a lever and easily pull the spring and set the shoe in place. A work clamp can help hold it to the backing plate while you position the pin and install the hold down spring. The upper spring will just pull into place. I assume you have the basic brake spring tools.

And too, I started watching the video I had already watched numerous times days ago again & saw that he puts on that bottom green spring on the shoes first before any thing else. I was running it past that part because I had already gotten to where I am now. Interesting!

I went with the Police" Heavy Duty setup on my 68. No adjuster.

11 brakes.JPG

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back