• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with rear drum rebuild

hunt2elk

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:10 PM
Reaction score
Looking for some advice from any of you brake experts. I bought a hardware kit for my Dana 60 rear 11x2.5" rear drums. 3 questions: 1st - Does the parking brake cable ball end just sit in the slot, or is there supposed to be some kind of clip holding it secure? 2nd - The kit came with the green lower spring that I am holding. The silver one I installed was on the car when I tore it apart. I called and questioned this and was told the thicker silver spring was for 10.5 in brakes. I don't see a decent way to use this green spring, so which one would be correct? And 3rd - Do I need to buy and install the auto adjuster kit, or will it be ok the way I have it setup and I will just manually adjust the star wheel every so often? The silver spring is putting enough pressure on the star wheel to keep it from moving on its own, but if I use the green spring it wont.

P1050172.jpg

1. It goes to the "Brake-adjuster" clip that mounts on your "Primary" (Front-shoe) and the spring attaches to your "Secondary" (rear/longer) shoe, used to keep tension on the clip for the "Star-wheel" adjuster.

I believe this to be correct.

Funny,
I just re-built my 78 AMC Gremlin's Drum Brakes (Rear) this past weekend.

Attachments

• drum_brake_system.jpg
    drum_brake_system.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 450
The pin should be in the rear shoe, the star wheel goes toward the rear also there should be a clip and spring that go on pin and holds adjustment if manual adjust cable goes up to top anchor if self adjust green spring is right the way you are holding left side goes in from rear in hole that pin is in now other end with long hook goes in big hole on rear or right in pic. Hope that makes sense I know its a run on but from my phone and keep scrolling to the pic

Been finding out a little more about my questions. It looks as though I did put the small pin in the wrong pad, so that is an easy fix. I also learned that not all of these 11" drums came with the auto adjust feature. If not, a bigger spring like I have installed was used to put a little pressure on the adjustment star wheel so it didn't move around by itself. That is also why my star wheel has fewer larger teeth. I bought the adjuster kits this morning and now have to decide if I will install them.

i had a 68 charger that was set up just like your pic when i got it.(11 inch drums)later changed to auto adjuster kit.if you drive alot you will be doing a ton of adjusting to get rid of pulls on a regular basis without the auto adjuster.prob adjusted mine about 10 to 12 times a year before converting to auto adjusters.

Auto Transport Service
Back