• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with some pics on the radiator "air shield" please

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:36 AM
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I am in process of putting back together missing parts for the underneath front end of Fred,
my 1968 GTX.
The previous owner had a bit of a mishap involving beer, no brakes and a shop wall many years ago
before I bought the car, which he "hid" via new bumper and a half-assed straightening of the grille.
Other miscellaneous loose parts came in the cars' trunk, one of which has always sort of been a
back-burner mystery to me over the years.

Turns out, it's the cars' front radiator air shield....which apparently was part of the repaint of Fred
before the drunken wall bonking episode. PO just took it off, mangled as it was and tossed it in
the trunk....

1968-1969 2856558 Plymouth b-body "air shield" is shown in the factory parts manual as: air shield.jpg
My question is what else is in that immediate area?
I see where it bolts to the backside of the bumper, but I have no other clues and
it seems to me like there should be something between it and the bottom radiator support?
Does anyone/can anyone post some pics "straight down" behind the grille and in front of
the radiator in their '68-'69 Plymouth B-body please?

THANKS!
Ed

2856558.jpg

Note the holes in the front edge for the back of the bumper, but a lipped smooth edge towards the radiator
side.... is there something that goes between this and the radiator support?

It doesn't touch, it's close but it doesn't touch... And no seal of any sort... It prevents most of the air that enters the grill cavity from escaping & going under the radiator... Honestly, an air dam from the lower radiator support extending down 2-3" would be more effective, it would allow air to enter below the grill but limit it's ability to pass below the radiator, plus create a low pressure area behind & below the radiator....

It doesn't touch, it's close but it doesn't touch... And no seal of any sort... It prevents most of the air that enters the grill cavity from escaping & going under the radiator... Honestly, an air dam from the lower radiator support extending down 2-3" would be more effective, it would allow air to enter below the grill but limit it's ability to pass below the radiator, plus create a low pressure area behind & below the radiator....
Might be serving as a stone shield of some sort also?

THANKS!! :thumbsup:
I'd like to say the vertical support on Fred is as straight as yours, but....
Hell, none of it is exactly straight, honestly. Dude did a number on it all...
After getting the radiator to k-frame bracket FINALLY installed (it protested a lot)
and getting the vertical grille support bolted back up though, things are about
there good enough for me.

This plate is the last of it...other than the blasting of the cavity with satin black. :)

No problem. Good luck, if you need any more pictures just let me know. My 68 dropped right in but my 70 was a little tougher for some reason. May have been bumped in the front before I bought it.

I think they refer to that piece as a "gravel guard". Meant to save your radiator more than an air seal.

I think they refer to that piece as a "gravel guard". Meant to save your radiator more than an air seal.
Chrysler referred to it as an Air Shield... Refer to Ed's first post with the factory parts manual...

Auto Transport Service
Back