• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Info

Red63440

Local time
11:22 AM
Reaction score
Is there anything that gives you the weight restrictions or height limits for NY State highways? Someone had told me Waze App but they don’t tell you what I need to know. Moving a motor home to a new campground in the early spring and found that at least one of the rail road bridges is only 11’ 7”. Motor Home is 12’ 8” so that will cause a major problem.

Last edited:
There's so much crap that goes on in our state, and changing all the time, why don't you just pre-drive the route, and scout it out. It could change a week after you drive it, with No updates published...

Even letting the air out of the tires won't help clear that one !!

The one RR bridge is around Holley and that one is 11’ 7” and I found a second RR trestle today which states it’s 12’ 9” which is way to close to trust.

Even letting the air out of the tires won't help clear that one !!
It has air suspension so when the air pressure drops it affects the air brakes.

Red, if you need help, when you're movin' get in touch. I love a daily challenge. I'm close enough, and work for beer, and a meal...

In the old days I drove big rigs. Was making a rural run in Massachusetts.Never been there before. Came to a bridge/tunnel that was marked 13.2.
I was at 13.6. Pulled to the side and a truck came passed me laying on the air horn and split the lanes.He called on the radio and said just do what I did and stay on the air horn till you get to the other side.Cars are used to us doing this. Said 13.2 was the lowest side of the arch opening.The center is fine.
Not saying this is your case.Just a thought as they will mark the lowest spot overhead.Tho nothing is guaranteed.
You may also remove the A/C plastic cover(s). That may give you a inch or two.

Each states dept. of transportation will route you if you make a request.
Since your not oversize or weight it should go pretty fast. Just explain what your moving and height, width , length and they will take care of it,
May cost a couple bucks but worth it.

My real estate friend ( florida) showed a house to 7 New Yaukuhs and 1 from maryland the other day.... God help FLorida

In the old days I drove big rigs. Was making a rural run in Massachusetts.Never been there before. Came to a bridge/tunnel that was marked 13.2.
I was at 13.6. Pulled to the side and a truck came passed me laying on the air horn and split the lanes.He called on the radio and said just do what I did and stay on the air horn till you get to the other side.Cars are used to us doing this. Said 13.2 was the lowest side of the arch opening.The center is fine.
Not saying this is your case.Just a thought as they will mark the lowest spot overhead.Tho nothing is guaranteed.
You may also remove the A/C plastic cover(s). That may give you a inch or two.
4 inches of new blacktop will really screw things up until the sign crew gets in gear.
:D

you can pull the Ac unit and the roof vent covers for the trip,that should clear you.
run a tape measure up and see what your actual roofline height is,flat roof versus ac equipped/cover equipped.
if you need more help,as VanDan said,im also in western ny and am quite used to moving Rv-s.

you can pull the Ac unit and the roof vent covers for the trip,that should clear you.
run a tape measure up and see what your actual roofline height is,flat roof versus ac equipped/cover equipped.
if you need more help,as VanDan said,im also in western ny and am quite used to moving Rv-s.
Like Rob said, we're here for you. I can lay on the roof going under to watch the clearance, as I think I'm still thinner than an A/C unit, although my head still swells at times....

Auto Transport Service
Back