• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Knowledge! 64 Polara NSS Set-up!

Ricks427

Local time
1:18 AM
Reaction score
Ok Guys Need a little InSite from the guys that have been there done that!

I'm currently working a 64 Polara setting it up to go NSS racing and only using the foot brake. 440 Stroked to 493 (700hp) with PB 727 with 5200 stall. All Steel Car w/ full interior and 8-point cage.

I'm currently have questions regarding rear suspension setup.

Current Setup: 8 3/4 With Back Brace, Stock 67 B Body Length, 4:30 Gear w/ Spool, Dr Diff Axels. Springs are moved into the frame, car has Super Stock Springs (3412003/3412002), Pinion Snubber, Calvert Stocks. Running 15x10 5.5bs rim and MT slicks 29.5x10.5.

What would you change? I believe the springs are A body?

Tell me what I'm doing wrong!!

Totally understand going to the Dana but it's not in the budget for this season.

Whats been done to the front suspension?

I don't think guys run a pinion snubber w super stock springs. The front spring segment is suppose to be doing the weight transfer.

Cal-tracks and split mono leaf springs are a good upgrade (might not see much in et but will be more consistent).
If not in budget verify first pinion angel is correct and remove pinion snubber. I was told years ago that the snubber defeats the purpose of SS springs but many people use them as bandaids due to incorrect pinion angle.

Whats been done to the front suspension?
It has QA1 front tubular K member with tubular A frames Calvert 90/10 shock wilwood disc brakes. I'm not sure which torsion bars they are. Most likley a 6cyl bar.

Which Super stock springs are you running? I'll lose the pinion snubber, I was considering going Calvert mono leaf's but would like to keep vintage looking..

Other than removing the pinion snubber you should have no problem with the SS 002/003 springs. 3000 lbs car suggested but many run the lighter spring in cars up to 3600 lbs.
I ran them on 2 63 Belvedere's. Listed as Original 1968 Hemi Super Stock and all race Hemi Super Stock according to the Direct Connection catalog.
The 456/457 are for 64-65 Super Stock B bodies. 3400 lbs car .I had them on my 65 Belvedere and found no difference between them and the 002/003.
I will guess your car has been lightened to be in those ranges. If you feel that you are not happy, Many, many Super Stockers have Calverts.
You say "Tell me what I'm doing wrong." Let us know what isn't working for you as far as more information.

Which Super stock springs are you running? I'll lose the pinion snubber, I was considering going Calvert mono leaf's but would like to keep vintage looking..
Sometimes vintage looks take a backseat to performance. If you're going to hang with the big boys, you need bigboy parts.
I have caltrac springs on my 64 and would never go back.

At 700 horse is that 8.75 going to last all year? And then when it breaks the trans will need pulled and looked over.

=more money + Wasted time

today you can sell the 8.75 complete before it is broken, and pay for half of the Dana.

Totally understand going to the Dana but it's not in the budget for this season.
What is the budget for broken parts this season?

Last edited:
At 700 horse is that 8.75 going to last all year? And then when it breaks the trans will need pulled and looked over.

=more money + Wasted time

today you can sell the 8.75 before it is broken.
That's what I did preemptively. I sold my perfect condition 8-3/4 410 gear rear and went Dana. NEVER LOOKED BACK at any spillage on the road.

Ok I get it.. Especially since I have to get a driveshaft built. I don't like to do things twice..

Ok I get it.. Especially since I have to get a driveshaft built. I don't like to do things twice..
Make sure the rear shocks are long enough, if not the car will wheel hop and unload the tires upon launch

Add an extra clamp to the front section of the springs and as mention earlier long 50/50 shocks. Now if you decide on running radials tires, double adjustable shocks will be needed. Get it out and have fun, should run really well.

One more question, the super stock springs comes with rubber eye bushings, should these be changed to aluminum? and the shackles be rubber or poly bushings?

What is wrong? Have you run it yet? I'd start with what you have and see what happens. The 8 3/4 may or may not fail. If I was starting from scratch. Ladder bars, good double adjustable shocks, and a Dana or 9 ". The are cars running N/SS with set ups similar to yours. Give it a whirl. If you need help look me up at N/SS event.
Doug

What is wrong? Have you run it yet? I'd start with what you have and see what happens. The 8 3/4 may or may not fail. If I was starting from scratch. Ladder bars, good double adjustable shocks, and a Dana or 9 ". The are cars running N/SS with set ups similar to yours. Give it a whirl. If you need help look me up at N/SS event.
Doug
This is a new build haven't run it yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back