• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need new torque converter - Hughes converters

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:51 AM
Reaction score
Rebuilding the 727 A in my 67 GTX which is the subject of another thread. The torque converter I removed has wear on the hub and is an 11 inch unit I suspect from a later model car - seemed fairly tight. I checked with Lenny at Ultimate Converter Concepts and he could rebuild it but it would run about $550 which is more than I need to spend for a fairly stock car. I think his normal clients are racers and guys running serious motors that need high strength stuff.

This car is full power & working air (heavy car), all stock 1968 magnum motor with 800 Edelbrock and TTI 2-1/2 inch exhaust. Only concession to performance upgrades is a 3.55 rear. Mostly around town and cruise night drive-ins. Seldom ever get on the open highway. It's a luxury muscle car and will never be more.

Not sure how I got focused on them but I've been looking at Hughes torque converters and the model 24-20 (2000 stall) and 24-25 (2500 stall). That seems to straddle where I think I would like to be - around a 2200 - 2300 stall - a little more than stock. I know I know, all that is just guessing.

Called up Hughes expecting to get reassured that the 24-20 would work fine for me. But after he asked what cam I have (told him stock Magnum cam several times and finally guessed around 215 degrees @ .050 and .474 lift (I don't really know - never looked it up) - he said he thought I should go with the 24-25 unit. That kind of surprised me - so now I'm confused.

Anyone want to weight in on this? Go with the 24-20? The 24-25? Something else?

Looks like I might have guessed a bit high on the cam lift - should be more like .450 inch.

No, it's a 24 spline and I have a 10 inch bolt pattern flex plate.

24-20 for a "gentleman's" cruiser. My opinion. Less slip/heat buildup. My last "real good" converter was a 4500 stall speed for ur info.

Not that up on converters...up front. But, my motor/trans is along your lines.
From 'some good 'ol boy' I picked up a good so-called Hemi converter, that kinda fits up with the build.
Wow. Used to pay $100-150 for my rebuilt converters.
Just know, of course, different size converters take different size flexplates.

I had 24-25 converter in my 440/727 combo. Even though it is advertised as 2500 RPM stall speed, it seemed to me like it was 2800 RPM.

i had my local builder overhaul the converter in my truck, made it a 2000 stall for 125$ what are you getting for 550$?

i put a Hughes converter behind a 500Ci 440 a few years ago, only lasted about a year. no race track duty, just a hand full of street burn outs.

i would not recomend Hughes converters to anyone

I had 24-25 converter in my 440/727 combo. Even though it is advertised as 2500 RPM stall speed, it seemed to me like it was 2800 RPM.

OK - decision time as I have to get some parts ordered. I sort of hate going against the manufacturer's recommendations but I think I'm leaning towards the 24-20 model and hope I get at least 2000 stall out of it. I figure the stock 440 cam low end torque and car weight will tend to flash any converter slightly higher than rated (maybe) and the 3.55 gear will tend to offset some of that since the car can start moving a little easier - so maybe a net sum of zero to slightly greater than rated stall (if I'm lucky - appears converter stall is mostly a guessing game anyway). The 3.55 gear definitely has perked up the car especially in low gear - I don't get as much sag in rpm and loss of torque after the tires finally get traction while the engine is trying to wind up. So it may be a good match with a bit tighter converter.

Give Midwest converters a call. There in Rockford Il. The number is 815-229-9808. I installed one for my 451 after the Tci caused an issue. I had ordered a boss hog thru Jegs, after 2 months and two converters( the runout was bad ) I got a refund. I had the new one in a week ordered direct. My trans guy said it was perfect, he's the one who told me about them. Price was about $250.00 with exchange. I know no phone numbers but this is a business and they did right by me so I'd like to pass it on.

I would go with the 550 unit. That's not that expensive and you get a quality unit. I bought a 4k converter from Protorque and couldn't be happier. Some things are worth the money.

Auto Transport Service
Back