• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Rear Window Install Help

67Satty

Local time
11:51 PM
Reaction score
What's the best way to install a rear window on a 1967 B-Body?

I've took the window out a long time ago to repair some rust issues, now it is time to put it back in.

I've got all the rust cut out, new metal welded in, the channel is all cleaned up and painted, new trim clips in, new gasket.

Should I put the gasket into the body first, and then put the window in the gasket?

Or do I put the gasket around the window and then try to work the window/gasket assembly into the body?

Or do I pay the local auto glass shop $60 to put it in? :)

Thanks for any tips you can give me.

That's one of those things that people who do their own work should know how to do. I do most of my own work.

but I'd "call the guy"

I made a couple feeble attempts with a thin blade putty knife but I think I need to know some kind of trick technique or some special tools because so far it doesn't seem too easy or make sense how it is going to go.

I just got done putting it in with the rope method. My wife pulled on the rope inside the car, while I pressed down a little from the outside. My wife did most of the work. The only tool we needed besides the 1/4" clothesline was a wooden chopstick to help get the rope past the top corners. I lubed things up with some generic "personal lubricant" purchased at the grocery store. It took about twenty minutes and went pretty easy.

Here is a link to the method. He makes it seem harder than it is:

http://www.route66restorations.com/1.html

Pay the glass guy the money. If you have already checked the fitting of the glass in the repaired channel. I recommend anyone first test fit the glass before you pain the channel. So if the glass does not fit properly you can make the necessary adjustments. The longer the glass is out of the car the harder the job it to reinstall. Remember unibody.

Auto Transport Service
Back