• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some wiring advice

Propwash

Local time
3:13 AM
Reaction score
Hey gent's...Figured you guys would be the ones to ask this question to being you dabble more with modifications under the hood than most..

Car is a '69 Roadrunner, motor to be a 512 Stroker.......

Anyways, plans are to run a Powermaster (one wire) 140AMP alternator and a MSD 6A box. As far as the factory engine wiring harness, what are the stock wires I'm actually going to use off that harness after the box/alternator is installed?

Horn? Windshield washer pump? Temp guage? Others?

I heard with the Powermaster, All i'm gonna need to do is run a 6GA wire directy to the battery being it's internally regulated. As far as the MSD box, I heard the ballast resistor gets bypassed? No need for those wires at all?

As you can see...Lotta questions and i'm just trying to put a game plan together before tackling this project.

Thanks for your time.

The dark blue & brown wires going to the regulator will need to be jumped to keep the stock harness & still have 12vt. power to everything, the wire after the ballast resister with the yellow tracer {I think it is} on it that goes to the coil will now have a full 12vt.+ instead of 9vt. for the points & condenser type systems, like the original set up... were is your battery mounted ? if it's in the engine bay 4ga. or 6ga. should be OK... if it's in the trunk go to a bigger gauge wire like 2ga./4ga. min... When it comes to battery wiring & like to be safe & go up in gauge, also make sure you have good sufficiently sized grounds every were...There is a great engine wiring diagram/schematic on www.MYMOPAR.com & at www.Madelectrical.com great tech books on wiring diagrams & relays they should be used on any high voltage/amperage draw systems, alternators, electric pumps/motors fans etc. or electronics added....

Very much Appreciated sir.....I'm looking at a halfway decent amount of mod's to the harness. At least now I can start to figure out a start point with riping apart the harness. And as far as the battery, stock location.

Auto Transport Service
Back