• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need to buy exhaust gasket set for 426 stock exhaust header

Dean Prevolos

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:56 PM
Reaction score
I started to look online for a new set of exhaust gaskets for my 426 hemi with stock exhaust headers. I bought a REMFLEX set online from SparkTek Motorsports. My engine is out of the car on an engine stand, so I have complete access around the engine to install.

I installed the first gasket with no issue on the driver side. However, when I installed the second one 0n the passenger side, the front ear on the gasket collapsed, almost flat after installation. I torqued per the instructions at 20 pounds.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

I wouldn’t use those remflex gaskets on stock cast iron manifolds. Fel-pro makes nice gaskets for this. I used new Reproduction bolts and washers. Been fine and I rechecked the bolts, not loose. About 800 miles on it. Been hot and cold hundreds of times. Nice and quiet, no leaks.

I had my reproduction exhaust manifolds surfaced and installed with the correct conical washers and no gaskets as original. We will see how that goes when it's fired up again. I hope it works as well as my Superbird and a couple of others.

I had my reproduction exhaust manifolds surfaced and installed with the correct conical washers and no gaskets as original. We will see how that goes when it's fired up again. I hope it works as well as my Superbird and a couple of others.

Jerry, I thought I had read that no gaskets were installed on the original application. I have the correct conical washers and bolts, as pointed out by R413. Interesting to find out from other Hemi Forum members whether they have gaskets on their car. Thank you.

Jerry, I just looked it up in my service manual and it calls for a gasket. Not sure where I read what you said, that there is no gasket. I will look into the gaskets recommended by R413, he obviously has a running, driving hemi with ghaskets. Thanks again.
Jerry, I thought I had read that no gaskets were installed on the original application. I have the correct conical washers and bolts, as pointed out by R413. Interesting to find out from other Hemi Forum members whether they have gaskets on their car. Thank you.

Hemi Header Gasket Service Manual.jpg

I wouldn’t use those remflex gaskets on stock cast iron manifolds. Fel-pro makes nice gaskets for this. I used new Reproduction bolts and washers. Been fine and I rechecked the bolts, not loose. About 800 miles on it. Been hot and cold hundreds of times. Nice and quiet, no leaks.
Morning R413, read my replies to Jerry Hall. I thought I had read the same thing that no gaskets were required BUT in my service manual it calls for a gasket and a torque of 35#. I torqued mine to 30#. The Remflex gasket calls for 20# torque. I will look for the Fel-Pro and see how they fit on installation before I put the engine back into the car. Do you happen to have the gasket number that you used? Thanks for your input.

Hemi Header Gasket Service Manual.jpg

Watch the NICKS GARAGE youtube video:
NO GASKETS on the HEMI, go to time mark 4:05 and watch them install the manifolds with no gaskets but they apply a gasket sealer. Interesting stuff.

When I got my car it had gaskets with the manifolds. Blew out almost immediately.

Removed manifolds, scraped/cleaned with lacquer thinner. Re-assembled with no gasket and a very thin smear of RTV and sealed up perfect.

Just installed headers the same way.

@Dean Prevolos I have had several original factory 440 cars that when disassembled had no exhaust manifold gaskets. I put them back the same way without gaskets and had no problems. I also have an original 67 GTX 440 car that the engine has never been out or apart. The best I can tell it has no gaskets either. This will be my first Hemi build with aftermarket/reproduction manifolds and I had them surfaced so they would be true as they didn't come on the engine from the factory. Maybe I should use gaskets being they're not original to the engine, but I owe it to myself to try this as when engines were assembled from the factory the manifolds they used had never been used on an engine before. This is just my opinion and something I am going to try. My thoughts are that the service manual was written for reassembly of engines and parts not necessarily original to the car. I'm as interested as anyone here to know, but it's going to be a while before this engine goes into a car.
By the way disassembly of this engine, I found exhaust manifold gaskets of which both were blown. I also found incorrect manifold bolts and no washers of any kind. I like Nick's Garage use of the sealer, but found it unnecessary on the 440's I have reassembled without gaskets or sealer. Again just my opinion and I guess I will find out later.

@Dean Prevolos I have had several original factory 440 cars that when disassembled had no exhaust manifold gaskets. I put them back the same way without gaskets and had no problems. I also have an original 67 GTX 440 car that the engine has never been out or apart. The best I can tell it has no gaskets either. This will be my first Hemi build with aftermarket/reproduction manifolds and I had them surfaced so they would be true as they didn't come on the engine from the factory. Maybe I should use gaskets being they're not original to the engine, but I owe it to myself to try this as when engines were assembled from the factory the manifolds they used had never been used on an engine before. This is just my opinion and something I am going to try. My thoughts are that the service manual was written for reassembly of engines and parts not necessarily original to the car. I'm as interested as anyone here to know, but it's going to be a while before this engine goes into a car.
By the way disassembly of this engine, I found exhaust manifold gaskets of which both were blown. I also found incorrect manifold bolts and no washers of any kind. I like Nick's Garage use of the sealer, but found it unnecessary on the 440's I have reassembled without gaskets or sealer. Again just my opinion and I guess I will find out later.
I just received an email from Nick and he told me that they use the sealer in the dining room to not waste the expensive gaskets for the short period of testing. But when it's time for the final installation in the car start gaskets are the choice.

I know the factory did not use gaskets on Big blocks. Had many original cars and also seen many. I have no experience on untouched hemi engines to know if the factory used gaskets or not.

I always use exhaust manifold gaskets when I have them off. I’ve done dozens of cars this way with no problems. But make sure everything is clean, flanges and bolts, threads, washers. No paint, rust, scale, sealer, gasket bits, etc, etc. Then retorque the bolts after a few heat cycles. I had one BB that kept burning a gasket so I had it surfaced and it is been fine for 10+ years.

Generally I avoid surfacing manifolds, no need to make the flanges thinner unless it really needs to be surfaced. But the only way to know is run it and see if it leaks. And changing a hemi exhaust manifold in the car looks like a bad job.

I used fel-pro MS-90049 Gaskets

I know my 64 Plymouth Sport Fury I owned back in the 60s did not have gaskets and it was lower mileage and stock. I use a little high temp red RTV on the manifold surfaces of my cars as a backup and assemble w/o gaskets FWIW. Lasted 25 years on my 427 Corvette so far and almost 20 years on my GTX.

I know the factory did not use gaskets on Big blocks. Had many original cars and also seen many. I have no experience on untouched hemi engines to know if the factory used gaskets or not.

I always use exhaust manifold gaskets when I have them off. I’ve done dozens of cars this way with no problems. But make sure everything is clean, flanges and bolts, threads, washers. No paint, rust, scale, sealer, gasket bits, etc, etc. Then retorque the bolts after a few heat cycles. I had one BB that kept burning a gasket so I had it surfaced and it is been fine for 10+ years.

Generally I avoid surfacing manifolds, no need to make the flanges thinner unless it really needs to be surfaced. But the only way to know is run it and see if it leaks. And changing a hemi exhaust manifold in the car looks like a bad job.

I used fel-pro MS-90049 Gaskets
I bought a set of Fel-Pro MS-90049 Gaskets this afternoon. I'll try them and see how it goes.

I just ckd mine,
stock hemi manifolds and iron heads

Just what looks like a small dab of some kind of sealer but NO gaskets .

Been like that since the car was done in 2004 ,
I have no leaks of any kind

I just ckd mine,
stock hemi manifolds and iron heads

Just what looks like a small dab of some kind of sealer but NO gaskets .

Been like that since the car was done in 2004 ,
I have no leaks of any kind
Thank you for your response.

Auto Transport Service
Back