• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need to know how to prepare a "new" shell for paint.

QOTHL

Local time
12:54 AM
Reaction score
If anyone can tell me what needs to be done on a newly restored shell before paint, please let me know. I did a search on this site and had no results.
Thanks!

Sorry for the lame-*** way I asked this question. I should have said I need advice on body seam sealer. Just want to make sure I do it the right way.

Last edited:
Describe newly restored shell. Is it bare metal, primed?

If you have to ask you may already be in trouble.

If you have to ask you may already be in trouble.
Agreed. To do the car justice, a good measure of actual experience will go a long way.
Anyone can fill a pot of paint, point & shoot....but knowing exactly how and what to do takes a lot of practice. :thumbsup:

If the car is in bare metal:
1 Seal all metal surfaces with a self-etching primer. This is not the same as as high-build primer.
2 Once sealed you can then start doing you metal work if needed.
After metal/body work you can proceed to using high-build primer. This is where you will start blocking the car and using guide coat to bring the body contours and lines into final shape.
3 After ALL body work/primer is done you then seal this with a thin primer. This is often the same product you used for the high build or surfacing stage, it is just reduced more to make it thinner.
4 Color
I hope this helps.

Agreed. To do the car justice, a good measure of actual experience will go a long way.
Anyone can fill a pot of paint, point & shoot....but knowing exactly how and what to do takes a lot of practice. :thumbsup:

This is it, not letting someone else do it, that's why I'm asking for help.

If the car is in bare metal:
1 Seal all metal surfaces with a self-etching primer. This is not the same as as high-build primer.
2 Once sealed you can then start doing you metal work if needed.
After metal/body work you can proceed to using high-build primer. This is where you will start blocking the car and using guide coat to bring the body contours and lines into final shape.
3 After ALL body work/primer is done you then seal this with a thin primer. This is often the same product you used for the high build or surfacing stage, it is just reduced more to make it thinner.
4 Color
I hope this helps.

Sorry, I did a poor job of asking what I need help with. Sometimes I'm thinking it but don't express it. I've done paint prep etc before. I'm looking for information about sealing the seams. The shell is mostly in primer and most of the metal work has been done.

Sealing the seams: Without a year, make, model, pics, etc. that is a very broad question. Some seams are a bead put down and then sandwiched between two panels. Others are put together and then a brushable seam sealer is used. I used to have books that told just where the seam seal was supposed to go from the factory. They looked more like guides for the workers.
It was pretty specific for each vehicle to make sure water would stay out. Some of seams were done very well, others were just smacked on the general area and looked like crap.

Sealing the seams: Without a year, make, model, pics, etc. that is a very broad question. Some seams are a bead put down and then sandwiched between two panels. Others are put together and then a brushable seam sealer is used. I used to have books that told just where the seam seal was supposed to go from the factory. They looked more like guides for the workers.
It was pretty specific for each vehicle to make sure water would stay out. Some of seams were done very well, others were just smacked on the general area and looked like crap.

Wasn't sure it mattered. It's a 69 Charger R/T very original car with all sheet metal installed with correct factory spot welds.

I will do a little digging tonight but not for too long as we are headed out for Carlisle in the AM. If I can't find the guide tonight I will look when we get back if someone hasn't already answered your question.

I will do a little digging tonight but not for too long as we are headed out for Carlisle in the AM. If I can't find the guide tonight I will look when we get back if someone hasn't already answered your question.

I've seen some youtube videos, looks like brush on sealer is what to use. Please don't lose sleep before your big trip on my account. I appreciate your help. If there is a reference I can get, just let me know. My Mopar restoration book doesn't seem to cover that.

I am going to liken the request to trying to become an electrician by correspondence school. It just doesn't work like that.
Sorry to sound a bit down-beat about offering help, but to make the paint pop on your car after all the hard work....I suggest you at least consider getting an experienced painter to either give some lessons, or work with you on the car. There would be nothing worse than cocking up at this stage of the restoration.

If anyone can tell me what needs to be done on a newly restored shell before paint, please let me know. I did a search on this site and had no results.
Thanks!
Don't let some of these posters make you feel inferior. This ain't magic, and it damn sure isn't neurosurgery. You aren't building a space shuttle. This has been done 100,000 times by guys like you and me, and with good results. I'm in the same place as you are, looking for info and trying to avoid pitfalls by asking others about their experiences.
I would suggest you call a paint manufacturer and ask THEM about THEIR product. They'll be glad to tell you what you need, what they have to suit your needs, and what they have to get you from point A to point B. One manufacturer I've had good luck with so far is SPI in Georgia. 706-781-2220.
They'll be glad to point you in the right direction. Good luck. If I can help further, let me know.

May have said look through members projects and restorations and resto mods & pro-touring threads for ideas. Stick with it.

Original car? what will be high end car when done, just do it like the factory and you will be fine. Yes the factory was sloppy too. I admit I am not aware if FSM tells exactly how. If not find a correct done car or better yet a survivor and take lots of pics. Good seam sealer i not cheap!! (No FlexSeal!))))

Check out my build thread I showed some details and I’ve done all my own work. Understanding different primers and what to do with them along with fillers is key. Then move into base coat and clears or single stage paint whichever you prefer. I use Tamco primers and paint products along with Evercoat fillers. Brush on seam sealers are used inside the trunk and passenger area mostly. “Caulk” type in your gutters and body seams elsewhere around the exterior of the car. I do seam sealer right before my sealer after I’m done priming and blocking.

Auto Transport Service
Back