• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need to replace tail light sockets

PeteyDaMan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:45 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've seen this discussion a few times but no real answer on how to get the old rusted light sockets out of the housing on my 71 Charger (non R/T).
Since they're swedged in they have to be cut out without damaging the housing which are damn near impossible to find.
I was thinking about using a oscillating multitool with a 3/4 blade to try and cut the socket off from the back but still afraid of cutting into the plastic.

any ideas?

Hi all,
I've seen this discussion a few times but no real answer on how to get the old rusted light sockets out of the housing on my 71 Charger (non R/T).
Since they're swedged in they have to be cut out without damaging the housing which are damn near impossible to find.
I was thinking about using a oscillating multitool with a 3/4 blade to try and cut the socket off from the back but still afraid of cutting into the plastic.

any ideas?

I would either do one of two ways.. tale a round file either a fine or medium one, and file it, and this will make the taillight socket thin around the swedged area, and make it where you should be able to collapse it down enough to wiggle the socket out of the taillight housing. Or you could take a dremel tool with a round barrel with a sanding barrel on it, and then make that inside swedge area thin, and carefully collapse the socket housing. Hope it all works out. @Dodge33

Hi all,
I ended up cutting the sockets in half with an air saw then using a carbide bit to slowly ground off the edging until I could pop them out without damaging the plastic.
It worked out pretty well.
I just put the new sockets in. I used standard motor products part# S91. They fit the existing hole very well. I put a dab of epoxy on the lip of the socket and snapped them in place. I did not use the metal backing plate that comes with the new sockets.
I couldn't find a single filament socket for the backup light that would fit so I used the same double filament socket but I'll only use the bright one.

processed-7bfac1b4-f165-447d-aaa9-0df3d2b3bbd5_fQzPNOT4.jpeg processed-39bd5c05-ff63-4c4d-9aa3-b4cc075fb230_g8jptcy7.jpeg processed-fa18cccb-fb1c-46ca-84d1-59b905ea145e_CQX5TbSG.jpeg

Nice job! I have one Rallye tail light housing I need to do this to.

Auto Transport Service
Back