• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need to sell approx 10 auto transmissions and other stuff for cores or salvage

tallhair

Rufus "Mod-hair" Firefly
Staff member
Local time
7:55 PM
Reaction score
I have approx 10 auto transmissions I need to get rid of. I've heard transmission re-builders will pay around $100 for them as cores but whatever it is it has to be better than scrap value. Anyone care to comment with experience or recommendations?

Can any of you confirm and does anyone know of somewhere I could contact near the STL metro area, prefer IL side but will travel or near Effingham or Salem IL is even better. Or how to go about finding a business who will buy them?

The transmissions are all Mopar and most are 727's.

There are some torque converters too .. are they worth anything as cores?

The other things I'll be getting rid of are:

Alternators
Starters
Radiators - (no Hemi rads unfortunately .. mostly nondescript 318 etc)

I could use a good ref source for the alternators and starters to determine date codes before they go

Thanks guys

Last edited:
I sell cores all the time. In the world of the core buying companies that old stuff is of little interest. Much of it ends up as breakage aluminum. (trannys). Automatic tranny cores are sold converters included. If you'd like I can through some numbers, PM me.

Make an offer? Don't For Sale items require a price???????? LOL, just busting chops Tallhair. You don't happen to have a 513 bell for sale do you?

Make an offer? Don't For Sale items require a price???????? LOL, just busting chops Tallhair. You don't happen to have a 513 bell for sale do you?

OOPS my bad NJRR my bad ... I have them advertised and forgot myself that I was in a new thread. OK forget the manual transmissions.

I'm just looking for help with the core sales. Thanks :)

- - - Updated - - -

I sell cores all the time. In the world of the core buying companies that old stuff is of little interest. Much of it ends up as breakage aluminum. (trannys). Automatic tranny cores are sold converters included. If you'd like I can through some numbers, PM me.

Sending now! Thanks

Last edited:
Please document any VIN numbers and part numbers before scrapping. Some of us find that valuable. :)

I generally use Craigslist for stuff like that and have been selling my automatics for around 100 bucks but it has been slow going. As for old radiators...no one seems to care about those unless the right part numbers are on the tanks and then they only want the tanks so most of my old radiators get scraped out after pulling off the steel. Copper brings decent money and it's not that hard to 'process' them for max scrap price.

pm sent

Mail call :hello2:

Will send pics this evening Kiwi

- - - Updated - - -

My internet went Kaput right after I responded this morning .. I'll shoot you one shortly

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have any cable shift 65's?

I really doubt it but have one with a mount deal on the tail shaft .. but doubt that's one of those.

I'll post some pics in this thread later. How do I ID a cable shift trans?

- - - Updated - - -

Please document any VIN numbers and part numbers before scrapping. Some of us find that valuable. :)

I'll do my best brother

- - - Updated - - -

I generally use Craigslist for stuff like that and have been selling my automatics for around 100 bucks but it has been slow going. As for old radiators...no one seems to care about those unless the right part numbers are on the tanks and then they only want the tanks so most of my old radiators get scraped out after pulling off the steel. Copper brings decent money and it's not that hard to 'process' them for max scrap price.

Thanks for the advice Cranky ... I had a CL ad with pics of most of them and buy one or buy all post but not takers. I'll probably give that another try though.

I watched a vid this morning on "cleaning" radiators so may give that a shot. There are definitely no high dollar desirable rad part numbers in there

- - - Updated - - -

Got it and will do Elk

- - - Updated - - -

Any sb 727s?

quite possibly one from a 360 C body

- - - Updated - - -

I do but not planning to get rid of it just yet if at all. Someone else is 1st in line but you are #2

I'd be interested in a 727 case with part number 2892091

Auto Transport Service
Back