• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need to shipping a fender from San Diego to maryland. What company recommend me?

Pepe70

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:43 PM
Reaction score
I need to do shipping a fender from San Diego CA to Maryland any recommendation?
thanks on advance

It depends on the fender. An NOS Challenger, or a 1986 pickup? Huge difference. I just shipped a fender. The box was 54x34x9, (140 inches total) weighing 25 pounds. It cost $146 from Wyoming to Georgia via UPS. The box was only slightly larger than the fender as the fender was not rare and a couple inches can add $20 to the cost. I glued strips of 9.5" cardboard along the wheelwell opening with liquid nails to keep things from denting the fender if it rode flat and had something riding on top of it.

UPS goes up to 165 inches total (length plus girth), but over that becomes Less Than a Truckload (LTL), and that gets pricey. 165 is a lot of inches with which to work.

I would not trust Fedex with anything I valued.

Last edited:
Is a 64 fender dimensions are 68x32x20 and 44LB is more than 165 and on ups web side I am not able to make a shipping label because the dimensions looks like have to be freight shipping

I’ve bought parts from out west, including fenders, and they were shipped to Michigan via Greyhound. Might be worth looking into.

Is a 64 fender dimensions are 68x32x20 and 44LB is more than 165 and on ups web side I am not able to make a shipping label because the dimensions looks like have to be freight shipping
I should have noted: to be covered by insurance, there must be 2 inches in every direction. You didn't note the fender, so I can't measure any of mine.

I have seen suppliers give a 1/2 hour stipulation on shipped body panels, acknowledging that bumps happen. I believe at one time, it was an industry standard. They guarantee a panel will need no more than 1/2 hour of repair when it arrives and that allotment is based on a professional shop's time. Today's panels often arrive in loosely wrapped cardboard and "repairable" car shop owners I know have never offered complaints, but I have never specifically asked about shipping damage.

Can you make it 67x31x18? The girth numbers whittle it down 2 inches at a time. Fenders are pretty tough and like my last one, many layers of cardboard reinforcing along the wheelwell opening (and around the perimeter) provides a lot of protection

Another option is Greyhound. It's a lot cheaper and the box can be a lot larger. It travels very quickly, but someone has to pick it up at the depot; they don't deliver. I have heard in some towns, a taxi can be hired to pick it up and deliver. With Greyhound, watch the tracking carefully as depots don't always have room and they won't wait on you for long. They will call on arrival, but that service isn't 100% reliable.

Greyhound? I am not sure if they still ship, but I had a fiberglass go kart body shipped that way.

Greyhound stopped doing freight shipping service September 2022.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back