• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need torque converter weights for 73 440 cast crank engine. Anyone know the specs?

Nismobishi

Local time
7:57 AM
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a neutral balance tc on my cast crank 73 motor home 440. I do have the weighted harmonic balancer but I still have a little vibration. I need to weld the weights on my tc. I don't want to get the new compensated flex plate because I don't want to pull out the trans, I want to weld the weights on through the inspection cover.
I have called Mancini and 440 source and nobody sells them anymore and nobody knows what they should weigh. If I knew what they should weight I could probably cut some out of bar stock steel.

Did the info from TCI in your other thread not work out??
I think there's some info in the chassis of motor bible (Mother Mopar).... I'll have and look and report back here a little later.

Well,
I saw the torque converters that they sell and I saw where I need to weld the weights but I couldn't figure out which weights I needed. I called but they were super busy. I will call back tomorrow.

Sorry for the new thread here. I had new questions and I couldn't edit the title of the old thread to reflect that.

Sorry for the new thread here. I had new questions and I couldn't edit the title of the old thread to reflect that.

Fixed that....

So..... the Mopar kit including instructions from Mopar Perf was # P4120241. IF it exists from any supplier, I do not know.... still hunting for further info.

still hunting
69Bee has provided the info you seek, in this thread.... look for the pix of the Chassis Bible...

69Bee has provided the info you seek, in this thread.... look for the pix of the Chassis Bible...

[/URL][/URL][/URL]
I was reading through that thread and I see info about the 6 pack converter weights but I am under the impression that the 74 and up cast crank used heavier weights than the 6 pack used in 70-72.

I found this. It looks more correct I believe but I just don't know for sure.

Torque Converter Balance Weight, Chrysler 10-3/4" Non-LU, TF-6 A-904/TF-8 A-727 | eBay

Last edited:
The cast iron is not as dense as the forged steel. That is the reason for the external weights, and why they are bigger. The 6 pack rod engines have the weight in a completely different spot, like opposite the cast crank weight.

I have a 73 340 I have had since the 80's. As you know the 72-73 340 have a cast crank with it's own weight balance. In the last 30 some years I have had 3 builders balance it and each said the previous one screwed it up and they got it right. They never did. Always had a slight vibration at 2500 plus. Could never find that specific flywheel either. I bought a flywheel from this seller about 3 years ago and it is perfect, smooth as silk. It is such a pleasure to drive now.
Bolt on Flywheel Weight 130t for External Balance Cast 400 440 Mopar Dodge A833 | eBay
I know yours is an automatic but maybe they could tell you the weight for balance and they do have a location on a flywheel so possibly you could transfer that to a convertor? Just an idea.

I was reading through that thread and I see info about the 6 pack converter weights but I am under the impression that the 74 and up cast crank used heavier weights than the 6 pack used in 70-72.

Sorry, I thought the info was right there, but I see now it was'nt....

So, 6.50 in.-oz. of unbalance added to flywheel for 440-6bbl. You would need 12.90 in.-oz for the 440 cast crank.

HTH, Lefty71

So 12.9in.-oz is for sure the weight for a cast crank 73 440? Next question, what the heck is in.-oz? All the weights I see are in grams.

So 12.9in.-oz is for sure the weight for a cast crank 73 440?
Thats quite exactly what the book says, sans the 1973 part.
I can't answer for exact weight of what's in the kit, nor their exact placement.

BTW, if no suppliers have the kit new, I did see recent completed sales on the Ebay, or bm02tj's idea is golden, if you can find the right one.

in-oz is balancing terminology (Weight in oz)x(inches from centerline) for a object rotating.

So you can convert to grams easy enough 1 ounce is 28.35 grams. Your balance weight will be lighter the farther it is from the centerline. I think a 440 cast crank convertor used two different weights over the years but they were the same balance: 77 and up used a heavier weight and closer to crank centerline; the other used the lighter weights but farther from crank centerline. I think 11 and 12 in the below quote are convertor diameter? The 12.9 in-oz is the overall balance and since the weight size is dependant how far it is from the crank centerline. Using the 12.9 in-oz should equate to 6.09" out for the 60 gram weights, 3.657" out for the later 100g weight.
Below are weight sizes for the stock convertors:

Screenshot_20230331_083053_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20230331_044333_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
28.35 oz equals 803.709 grams
a gram is smaller than an OZ

I have a 77 MH 440 & 727 trans. If it'd help I can snap a pic of the weights on my converter. I'd think you could easily find a MH 727 converter cheep enough ina junkyard to rob the weights from.

I have a 77 MH 440 & 727 trans. If it'd help I can snap a pic of the weights on my converter. I'd think you could easily find a MH 727 converter cheep enough ina junkyard to rob the weights from.
That would help a lot!!! Thank you!

Auto Transport Service
Back