• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need valve cover grommet info

KMopar

Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
ED005010-8DE3-4B65-BBA6-DF5D763D7AC3.jpeg
I have the mopar performance big block cast valve covers with a twist on hole and knock out spot on each. I am installing a m/e Wagner Pcv valve in one of the twist on holes. It needs 3/4” id. Does anyone know which grommet with that id also has big enough diameter to seal twist on tang cutouts also. I read a review of Ford grommet M6892F working well on the mopar covers. but Not exactly sure of thickness of groove needed either, covers are an hour away so I can’t measure them right now but want to get parts ordered. The Pcv valve is actually going on rear of passenger side. This is a pic last week when I mocked up this cover. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the extra pics. Trying to delete them. But if you know what part to use to attach throttle cable to Holley sniper, that would be helpful too

Sorry about the extra pics. Trying to delete them. But if you know what part to use to attach throttle cable to Holley sniper, that would be helpful too
I removed the extra pics for you.

Maybe @CudaChick1968 can assist with advice on grommets? She handles a lot of these covers. :thumbsup:

What I do is go to the local parts store, they usually have them in assorted sizes and multi-packs, hanging out on the aisles somewhere. They're nothing special, typically just a Dorman part..I always take a tape measure with me.

Edit- I just saw That you wanted to use the twist lock hole for your PCV... Not a good idea IMO. There are different thicknesses around that hole with two protrusions, made to lock the cap in place so it will be very hard to seal it with a grommet...

20210312_185912.jpg

You need to punch out one of the other holes, but do it small enough to leave a lip for the grommet to seal to. In other words as you can see in this picture don't punch your hole out the same size as the hole boss that's cast into the cover because it's about 1/2" thick-
20210312_190404.jpg

The cover is very thin at the top of the hole, like .030 or so...

Last edited:
This is what was in mine, no leaks with the pcv stuffed in it. .
20210312_191458.jpg

Mopar used to cast left and right side covers but nowadays they're all driver's side. You'll have a longer hose to your PCV as a result and it will stretch across the passenger side. (I've never seen any PCVs that will accommodate the oil filler opening boss on the left side but they may exist.)

The seating channel on generic "Help Section" Dorman grommets isn't wide enough to fit the 1/2" boss in the MP valve covers. They'll physically go in the hole of course but will not lock in like they should. Unfortunately Ma Mopar discontinued the grommets a few years ago.

I found a set with the right 3/8" opening and 1/2" channel grommet but it comes with a plug too, and is about $20 with shipping from a place in East Moline, Illinois, bearing part number P524 9642. Excuse Hondo's tail. He likes the window.

16156715706012161323391562652626.jpg

I just saw a thread where (I think) Mancini is selling the grommet; they conveniently numbered theirs the same as Mopar's original one was, presumably so it will show up in searches. I'll dig it up and edit this post as soon as I find it.

Gotta love that Bookmark option!! Here you go.

"I was planning to pick up a set from Mancini Racing but have not done so yet. They offer part number MRE5249642 to replace the Mopar version that no longer comes with new valve covers.

Bobzilla, Mar 5, 2021"

Kind of cool but confusing how both my set and Bobzilla's share the same part number, but at least they're available!!!

Last edited:
Just went through this...
Oreilly usually stocks this one.
Granted mine are Holley VCs..but pretty sure its the same size hole

20210310_150810.jpg 20210314_105520.jpg

One other thing is which ever hole you use there needs to be a sufficient baffle below it , and required distance ,if I’m not mistaken at least 1 3/8” !

Auto Transport Service
Back